Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my endless search to find a way to get my 84 Sedan Deville running properly again. I have a bad EGR Solenoid that the local Caddy dealer told me was on my Torque converter, which is causing my ECM to burnout, thus the car does not shift correctly. The car has the stock 4.1L V8(which has 17,000 orginal miles on it) and all original tranny parts. The EGR Solenoid is not manufactured any longer and I have not found the part on the internet. Junkyard is not an option since there is no guarantee that the EGR Solenoid will be good.

Here is my Question: Is there any way to put a different Transmission on the car to get rid of this EGR Solenoid?? Or is the EGR Solenoid even the problem?? Need Help!!!!

Thanks, David

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only solenoid on the trans. would be the TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid. The EGR valve is on the intake manifold. If the TCC solonoid is bad, that should be available from any auto parts store.

Something is fishy with the dealer's story that it is burning out the ECM....How is that happening??? It doesn't make sense.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel and write down any stored codes that are displayed and post back. Maybe that will provide a clue to the actual problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KHE, I was afraid that the dealer was full of it. When I had the car inspected in Texas, the engine tested out perfect. If I had to guess I bet your assumption about the TCC Solenoid might be correct. I pressed the two buttons on the climate control panel and this is what it said: -1.8.8, 52, .7.0

I hope these numbers mean something to someone.

Thanks again for any and all help. David

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
1.8.8 = bulb check
52 = memory reset (power pulled from ECM)
70 = system ready

The only "code" here is the "52" which usually points to the battery being disconnected but "could" point to an intermittent short.

As for the TCC solenoid blowing the ECM, it actually IS quite possible. As I recall, a short on the power side of the solenoid "could" damage the ECM. The more common one is a short in the injector harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts