Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Eldorado
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the strangest problem - at first it freaked me out a little but now I laugh every time.
My "Engine Control System" light comes on as well as the "Service Soon" display in the DIC in a certain area of town. At first I thought it was because I was driving off of the highway (75mph), then when I get into town (35mph), about 1.5 miles in this message comes on. I believe it was a B048 code. It only happens coming back into town, but never when I leave. I can drive all over the place, highway speeds and 30-40mph off an on, but this problem never happens until I get into my own town (I live in a suburb). I think my car is allergic to my town :) I live in one town, get on the highway, work in another town and this never happens when I go to work, just coming home!
Has anyone else ever encountered something so strange? Right now it doesn't seem worth it to me to replace the EGR valve when it only seems to happen in this one area.

·
Registered
1993 ETC, in Windsor, Ont.
301 Posts
Probably has something to do with being at a specific temperature, or the time spent at one temperature, triggered by a specific combination of highway and city driving, that occurs only when you drive into your area. I had a MAP sensor that ONLY puked out intermittently when it got really warm, combined with a near WOT (@ low manifold vacuum, the sensor was sketchy only in that part of the range, only when it was hot!) It made it seem like a wiring problem, but it was the sensor!

·
Registered
1990 Sedan de Ville 1995 eldorado 2000 buick century
89 Posts
well i tell you what my 95 eldorado does something strange like that when i leave work everyday i sit at a light on a hill and like 90% of the time the air just starts blowing out of the vents, now if i go another way home it never happens...but as for the egr valve my was messing up (sticking and the check engine light would come on every now and then so i looked at the parts stores and they were all at least 160..so i went to the local pull a part here in atlanta and took 3 of them off its the same on the northstars (deville, seville, eldorado and the oldsmobile aurora, i paid like 8 bucks a piece, and that was it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts