Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, someone told me yesterday that I needed to replace my EGR thingy. They said that it is causing too much emission crap to come out. Is this job fairly simple DIY on a 90 DeVille, or do I have to really dig into my pockets for the parts as well as the labor?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
It should be a fairly simple job.....

Most of the time it just needs cleaning...... Try that first!

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
I changed mine on my 90 last year, it cost me 352 just for the valve, but I only use original equipment unless I dont have a choice. If your EGR valve is bad, you should check you smog air pump as well, and there is another valve that runs inline a tube that goes to your exhaust manifold, I would replace that valve too, its cheap. When my EGR valve went, it was caused by a bad smog pump, the pump went and shot particles through the lines into my EGR valve, and jammed up the valve, and the hot exhaust gases melted it. If your valve is just dirty, then you are in luck, but if you have ever replaced that smog pump and not the EGR valve, then you know what caused your EGR valve to go bad. The EGR valve is real easy to change, but if you are going to have to change that valve I was telling you about, sometimes its a pain cause it gets real hot over the years and doesnt like to break loose. Lemme know how you make out.

Jack

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright guys. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Tell me this, by replacing or cleaning the EGR, and/or the smog pump thing, will I notice anything different? By that, I mean will it perform better or anything of that nature? And CadillacJack, did you mean $352.00 for the valve or $3.52?

Hollywood thanks you guys for the help!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You wont notice any performance difference unless it was stuck open.....

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
Yea, thats what I thought, but nope, it cost me $352.00 but after I replaced it I found it cheaper, but if you can't find it any cheaper try the AC Delco website, they have some good deals.

Jack

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts