Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the effects are on a '93 DeVille tranny if it's overfilled by 1/2 pint. My tranny throws the E39 code whenever I'm driving between 40 and 67 going up a moderate hill. I can clear the code, allowing the VCC to re-engage, but it will eventually come back under the same conditions. I find that overfilling the tranny by about 1/2 pint will prevent or reduce the frequency of the E39 code from coming up.

I'm assuming that overfilling it increases the pressure or something so that something inside the tranny will quit slipping...or something.

I had this fixed once before under warranty. The dealer had to do a "mini overhaul" of the tranny. They did the overhaul with the tranny in the car. They had to replace components associated with the 4th gear clutch. If it had not been under warranty, the bill would have come to over $800. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. It cost me $50 for the deductible.

Now, 150,000 miles later, the problem has returned. I know what the fix is (another mini-overhaul) and I don't want to spend $800 to get it fixed again. All I have to do is to make sure that if I'm driving up an incline between about 45 and 67 mph, to take the tranny out of overdrive into "3". If that stoopid "SES" light didn't come on, I wouldn't bother. However, at night, it shines very brightly and it's annoying.

If I can just overfill the tranny by a bit and prevent or reduce the frequency of the E39 code, I'd be a lot happier. Or....if there's a way to prevent the E39 code from turning on the annoying BRIGHT amber SES light, I can just ignore this whole thing.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
248,000 miles on an American car made in the early 90's is outstanding. 150,000 since the last transmission overhaul is even more unbelievable.

I say ride it out--if you think that keeping an extra 1/2 pint of fluid in there reduces the frequency of the occurrence, more power to you. Keep on doing it. Or you could just snip the wire on that annoying amber light.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The only real issue you have to contend with when over-filling a transmission is aeration of the fluid and increased operating temps. Both are detrimental to the health of the unit but the 1/2 pint you suggest is nowhere near enough to cause a problem, have at it.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, any day and I'll get my money's worth out of this car. :)

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

Turns out that the level of fill in the tranny does not effect the E39 code appearing or not. It must have been all in my head. What's happening is that the VCC is getting old and is starting to slip. The PCM sees that and think something's wrong and disengages the VCC lock. It's not something that's bad. I hear that there's a special PROM I can get that lets the PCM ignore the slip.

I found out all this over at caddyinfo.com.

Thanks to all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts