Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 CTS with factory HID lamps with washers. The plastic looks like a mules butt if you know what I mean, scratches and really cloudy. I bought a headlight restore kit, but didnt work, so bought a BETTER headlight restore kit and am getting ready to try it.

I called the dealer and was looking into just new plastic and he said it was a "complete module" and the HID's are 987.00 a piece. Thats not going to happen, Can you not somehow just replace the plastic front lense. Even if it means buying a standard halogen one and "retro fitting it" with the HID guts.

there has got to be a better way to get fresh looking plastic on your headlamps for less than 2000.00

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,821 Posts
If the better headlight restorer doesn't work. Then I suggest buying a new lens off of ebay. If you are patient and watch you can find a lens for less than $100 shipped. Do go buying both at the same night, unless you find them both to be a good deal. Watch out, some of them has a broken mounting hole.

KOT

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
just wet sand them or have a detail shop do it for you...it cost 2 $50 or so and they will look like new

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Perhaps the haze is on the inside of the lens. Have you tried removing the lenses and cleaning the inside with some water?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
You can't remove the lense without cracking something so be carefull.
You have to retsand the lense, use 1200 grit and soap and water, make
Them smooth. Then get the mothers powerball mini and use a rubbing compound
Polish and buff them, then wash them off and put a coat of wax on
They will look great. I've see yellow headlights restored to bran new looking.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
I have never removed the headlight housing on a CTS, so take my advice FWIW. What I meant was remove the entire headlamp assembly and rinse the inside thoroughly with water. Hazing over the inside of the lamps is a common problem with the 02-06 Escalade and is easily fixed this way. I could be way off, but thought it was worth bringing up. :)

·
Registered
03 CTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what is so wierd about this is there is no yellowing, they are physical scratches, like the previous owner cleaned em real good with a scotch bright pad, but even worse.

The lenses are smooth to the touch since i worked them over once, but i didnt get deep enough.

I guess I see new lenses for sale all the time, but not HID, where is the HID portion of the system, in the lense housing with the projector lense, or behind it.

Or to put it this way, at what point when they are making the lenses at a factory do the lenses go one way for HID and another for halogen, all I want is the clear plastic, not the expensive HID guts.

The restorer kit i got is the 3M version that goes on to a drill...not just some small pads to do be done by hand, hope that works...

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,821 Posts
Your best bet is to buy the entire lens. Because the projector has a different bulb retainer comparing the two bulbs, HID to halogen. On top of that, the head light washer isn't on the halogen assembly. I don't think that you could swap out the projector because I've read some where that someone wanted to. But couldn't with out doing some cutting on the assembly. If you do that and don't cover that hole up that you just made. You'll be dealing with the haze on the inside.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
137 Posts
The 3m kit works awesome! theres a write up or two on it on here with pics. I did this to mine as well and my headlights came out looking new if not better. Just take your time sanding with each pad and dont rush. It took me 2 tries until i finally just decided im going to sand the hell out of them before having to buy a new lense and they came out perfect. This especially hold true when you get to the last "gray" wetsanding pad. Run over the whole lense like 10 times slowly and even more if you want to. This is the most crucial step. once your done and you buff it with the headlight polish oh man you will be happy

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Imo the best thing is to use 6k or higher grit sand paper, then you take one of those soft brushes for dremels and smoothen it out a bit. Once youve done that all you have to do is take a dremmel with buffing solution to it. I had these hard plastic grips for my paintball marker, and i took 6k grit sand paper to it, then the plasticy brush piece for the dremel, and then took a polishing wheel for the dremel, washed it off and it looked just as smooth as when it was before i sanded it. Make sure you wet sand of course.

·
Registered
03 CTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 3m kit works awesome! theres a write up or two on it on here with pics. I did this to mine as well and my headlights came out looking new if not better. Just take your time sanding with each pad and dont rush. It took me 2 tries until i finally just decided im going to sand the hell out of them before having to buy a new lense and they came out perfect. This especially hold true when you get to the last "gray" wetsanding pad. Run over the whole lense like 10 times slowly and even more if you want to. This is the most crucial step. once your done and you buff it with the headlight polish oh man you will be happy
You were so right. I went through 5 of the 6 500 grit pads on one lense, even after stopping every 30 seconds to wipe it clean, but man did it turn out awesome...never would of thought it possible but it saved me $$$$ instead of a whole new HID module/lense. The 500 grit took about 30 minutes, the rest took all ot 10 minutes to get to the polish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts