Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my cpu needs to be replaced on my 81 coupe with the 8/6/4 . When I try to run codes it does nothing. My serv. manual says that if you start it with the jumper in and the check eng. light stays on that there is an problem and should have codes. The light stays on but it won't give me codes. It does nothing, is that a dead ecu?

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Could be a bad connection in the wires somewhere between the ECU and the jumper... What problems is the car having (I mean other than a light on) ?

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Check the dash fuse, my 85 Cutlass did that, the fuse that powered a lot on the dash went and took down the CE light module.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First start up of the day it will run poorly and miss out. Sometimes when you push the gas down more than a 1/4 way it goes no where, it revs but misses really really bad and blows black smoke(gas) out exaust. And I think it runs rich all the time, I think.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used my multimeter to check for voltage on the test terminal and it showed 5 volts. So there is voltage but only 5? There must be a voltage regulator on it. But that makes me think that there is good connection there and something else is wrong. Mabey my Chiltons manual is wrong I've had it happen before. Do you jump the last 2 terminals on the CCC connector under the Pass. side of the dash? Any help would be greatly appretiated!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Have you tried pressing and holding the off and warmer buttons with the ignition on? You might be reading the proceedure for CCC. You have DEFI. It may be different.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean buy the warmer buttons? The button to turn the temp up on the climate control?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
The Ape Man