Cadillac Owners Forum banner

ECU flash

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Eldorado_2000 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2000 eldo That I bought for cheap to mess around and experiment with. I recently welded in some 10 series flowmaster mufflers and then installed a test pipe. I am wondering if I should get a tune or have the ECU reflashed to get the maximum gains from this.

#2 ·
I think that would simply reinstall factory spec's. I doubt it would compensate or even "see" anything beyond the CAT and O2 sensors, assuming you installed these mufflers downstream of the CAT. You'll probably need a before and after dyno to see any real results...........if any.

#3 ·
=======================
you gained NOTHING but noise -

to date - NO ONE has been able to hack into a 2000+ Cadillac PCM -

if modding is your thing -
you got the WRONG car -

there is absolutely NOTHING on the market
that will increase the horsepower by even a hoof -
or increase gas mileage by a single mile per TANK full of gas -

that bit if information just saved you a LOT of time and money -

#4 ·
No one has hacked the 2000 - 2005 FWD Northstar PCM and there are no "tunes" yet. Even the advance curves will not change to give any advantage from different gasoline grades. (The 2000 - 2005 Northstars are calibrated to run on 87 octane, regardless of what the Eldorado fuel gauge may say.) Your exhaust work will/would yield nothing. Which model is the car - ESC or ETC - it makes a big difference in advice offered and in parts used.

Note that there is a rev limiter set to 4000 rpm in N or P. Normal WOT redline shift is 6400 in a forward gear. Study this - all of it - written by a CF member who was a GM/Cadillac Northstar Systems powertrain engineer.

The ESC is a VIN Y car, 275 hp, 3.11 economy cruise final drive, speed limited to 112 mph.
The ETC is a VIN 9 car, 300 hp, 3.71 performance final drive, speed limited to 130 mph.

GM has already picked all the low- and mid- hanging fruit. The next step is an $18,500 turbo install/engine rebuild with separate powertrain management system.

Here's one CF member's STS work - he recently detuned and sold it.

#8 ·
Did you open either site and look around ?

Both websites have been known on this forum for over 15 years. Google either one, using "cadillac forums ...." as a qualifier.

Jake is the inventor of the Northstar Performance Sure Grip head studs and install kits; Lyndon Wester has been tuning PCMs since at least 2004.

#13 ·
Be sure to get before and after timeslips or dyno runs - or you'll have no basis for estimating any "improvement" besides the butt dyno, and that's notoriously inaccurate. More noise, whether from the air intake or the exhaust, is NOT power. Statements like "It definitely has more power" or "It pulls like a train up to 100 mph" mean absolutely nothing without baseline references.

Hit your local dragstrip for the Friday Night Test & Tune runs. Fun, informative, and you're competing against no one, only yourself.

#16 ·
Regarding before and after testing, you might look into getting a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and springing for the Torque Pro app ($5 on Play when I got it). It uses your phone's GPS and has automated 0-60 and 1/4 mile measurement capability, and will estimate your instantaneous hp and torque. Plus, it allows you to monitor anything that is on the OBDII bus sensor-wise, pull diagnostic codes, and reset codes. Best $5 I've ever spent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.