Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,

I joined a few years back and have benefited greatly from all the information you all have freely shared with fellow first generation CTS owners. After reading the posts, I have come to understand and appreciate that you all don't suffers fools easily. If I make any foolish mistake in this post, please point it out and I will rectify the issue immediately.

My name is Tom and I have owned a 2007 cts, 3.6L since 2009. I take very good care of the car and it has taken very good care of me, to the tune of 158k miles. I enjoy working on it myself and have been able to do so with the much appreciated knowledge many of you freely give. Recently, the service theft system and traction control indicators illuminated, along with the fuel and temperature gauge failing. I wasn't too worried about this since I had read about the situation in many posts on this forum in the past. When I encountered it, I knew I had options. I chose the cheap one and am paying the price for doing so.

I checked with Autozone and found that the only option was to have me send in my ECM to a third party for 175.00USD. I called the third party vendor and found out that I would still need to get it reprogrammed by the dealer. Thus, I called my local dealer and was told they don't service vehicles that are over 10 years old. I called a dealer a town over and found out they would gladly service my pride and joy for a very reasonable fee. Out of curiosity, I inquired about purchasing the ECM from them and was quoted 1000USD.

After driving for some time without gauges, I found a vendor that informed me that I didn't need to complete any programing after installing a rebuilt ECM programmed by them. I went with this vendor and after the 30 min key relearn my problems were solved! All my gauges now worked. The traction control and theft system icons were not illuminated and both the temperature and fuel gauge were working just fine. I immediately noticed a rough idle though that was followed by a P0202 and P0302 code. I reinstalled my OEM ECU and the gauges are inoperable but I had no rough idle and was on cloud 9 again!

What I am wondering is if I must indeed get the programing done regardless when installing an ECM new to any CTS? When I was young I worked on cars with my dad and we regularly had to re-time the engine with a timing light. I am wondering if the ECM stores vehicle specific engine timing that must be reset regardless if the ECM being replaced is from a similar vehicle. If so, can someone explain this to me? I would like to try my hand at doing so if it is possible so that I can learn something and save some cash. If it is not possible, I'll happily take her to the dealer given how good she has been to me.

All the best Gents!

Tom

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
Bought an ac delco ecm from rock auto, it's a reman by Bosch, same one from dealership. No new ones are available any more. Cost $270, local dealer programmed it for $100. Those online places mostly use cleaned up junkyard ones unless you pay for a reman and they clone the programming. The timing is set by the feedback it gets from various sensors and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question guys,

I was doing some reading on the forum about ECM issues. I came across a post where someone experienced a similar issue to what I did. I read one reply where the author stated that the vehicle may run rough for a while as the ECM needs time to relearn all the engine functions. I am wondering about that and would like to ask y'all if that sounds correct.

If I replace the ECM, and the engine runs rough, is letting the engine run for 15 minutes the proper way to let the ECM relearn how to run my vehicle? I am wondering if I should just replace my old ECM with the refurbished one I just bought and let it run for this amount of time. I don't understand why the poster said the process works but if it is indeed right, I'll do it. That will save me the cash of getting the replacment part programmed at the dealer.

Thanks gents,

Tom

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey All,

Just wanted to give the final report about my ECM issue. I did not know this but my failure to disconnect my battery and discharge any remaining power were the errors I was making.

I had to give it one more try before I broke down and went to the dealer a county over. I disconnected my battery, removed my old ECM, hit the brakes and turned on the lights for a minute or two, installed the new ECM, connected the battery, and she fired right up with all gauges working and no traction control or security light illuminated. Sure made me one happy camper.

Thanks for the replies mattt0305 and babyexp. It sure is good to know there are folk out there that care. Thanks also to the moderators and hosters of the forum. Y'all are a great resource.

All the best,

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts