Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replace the EBTCM in 96 SLS with used one from 96 STS. ABS light went off and seems like first gear returned but now I have codes I didn't have before. The codes are:
PC1602 - loss of EBTCM serial data - history
PC1644 - Deliverd torque output circuit - history
PZ2042 - Loss of seerial comunications - ABS/TCS - current

The used part has 30 day exchange. Is the STS and SLS the same or does the EBTCM need to be from an SLS. The vin number of the STS was higher than 826978. Am I susposed to do some sort of master reset once I replace the EBTMC. I tried to clear the codes but that did not work. Now the ABS light is off but the traction control light is on. Also the OBD show "No TCS Data". Please help!

·
Registered
1996 STS
105 Posts
It could be a number of things, first the EBTCM you bought could very well be defective, but I would double check the grounds and connections again. Try d/s the battery for 1 minute. I have the same problem, also have PZ2042 amongst other codes related to this. I know that the dealer has a special computer which he uses to diagnose the ebtcm itself, if all fails take it to them and h have them test it. BTW, how much did you pay for yours?

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paid $180 (150 for part and 30 shipping). I will try battery disconnect. Any fuse in particular? I hate to bring to dealership - don't trust them. Can they bench test or must part be in car?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Look at the connector at the EBCTM. Make sure it is connected properly and then unplug it to check the terminals. Water intrusion in this connector will cause total destruction, hopefully this isn't the case.

·
Registered
1996 STS
105 Posts
In order for the dealer to test it it has to be removed from the vehicle, again first ask how much that would run and the only fuse that comes to mind is the ECS, could be others also, I would have to check the FSM though.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called local dealer -$135 to test and stated must be in car. If PZ 2042 is loss of serial connection and PC 1602 is loss of data what good will it be to test in car of not sending or receiving signal??? I'm confused. Once I cleared the codes and restarted the car I would get "TCS codes?" If I select yes, display goes blank and then short while after message reads "no TCS Data" Everything in FSM points to EBTCM replacment. Contacted seller and he is going to exchange with replacement from a different caddy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts