Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville, 89 Camaro, 07 Silverado
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i go to the junk yard yesterday to get the EBCM module, i follow the brake lines and they go into the brake pump ?, and the guys stated that the EBCM is part of the brake pump, that you have to get the entire unit.....is this true????? or can i just change out the module???

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
You can probably just change the module but they are paired together and it might be easier to remove the whole thing than just the module

also, lots of salvage places will only sell certain assemblies as a whole unit because once you start scavenging it apart it becomes worth less to them than the whole unit

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is what i was wondering rippy, so better to buy whole unit, which i can get for 60 bucks (reasonable?) and just us the EBCM, or better yet, can i just buy a reconditioned or new one???? just the module itself???

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
yeah there's a bunch of companies that refurb these modules ... once you have it in your hand and can read the markings/stickers on it you can try and figure out if any of the rebuilders work on that specific model

i've sent out a few to get fixed for friends (BMWs and Saabs but most of these modules are made by the same two or three companies so they're all basically the same and have the same problems)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so when i go to look for it, what is it exactly called, b/c i am not finding and many people do mot know what i am speaking of...also...if i am looking down fat it, brake lines coming into unit on right, where exactly is module???

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
It's called the EBTCM (Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module) sometimes just called the EBCM. The other half is called the BPMV (Brake Pressure Modulator Valve).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ranger, is the center picture, the one that is the actual metal, is this the ebcm, and do i need to just remove that piece or do i need to take out the entire brake device and is it easier to remove from underneath the car????

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
That's a generic EBCM picture. Not sure if it is the exact one for you car.

Never had to remove one so I'm not sure how to go about it or which way is easier.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
i would guess that getting the whole thing out would be easier than removing the module from the assembly
but that all depends on how accessible it is ... ideally you would just remove the module since removing the whole assembly would involve disconnecting brake lines (which can get messy)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually, i have been volunteering, yes volunteering at a high end mechanics shop...all they do is work on $100,000 or more cars, and the ebcm on these is very similar to the caddy, so i am getting great info all the way around...thanks guys....oh, i am just going to remove the module since i now know how to remove.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, i stripped one of the hex botls or screws on the ebcm so....it is still there and i did not change out....how do u get that screw out?????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts