Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my CTS to the dealer a few days back because the TC and ABS lights came on and on a few occasions the car would not come out of park. The dealer told me the EBCM needs to replaced. They quoted me $1400 to repair it. I don't want to pay that much and I was wondering if any one knew the location of EBCM. Is it hard to replace and does anybody know where I can get a used EBCM online cheap. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Luv this forum and I'm glad urypadolov posted...

Same prob on my 2004 CTS with 69k miles.

I went to my mechanic, not the dealer, and it'll end up costing me $1300 for the EBCM replacement.

I'm not happy but at least I know my mechanic is not screwing me too badly.

Hey, misery loves company!

Our EBCM is without JL4 which makes it more costly. No, I don't know what JL4 means.

I'm really too poor to own a car this expensive, even though I only paid $8800 for it at 55k miles.

Good Luck to the rest of you !

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
JL4 is traction control and stabilitrak.

Are they replacing the whole BPMV/EBCM unit or JUST the EBCM itself?

Any details on these failures? I have seen ONE go bad.

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
EWILL3RD

I believe its just the EBCM he's replacing. The part costs $1085 and he's charging $190 labor (2hrs).

He said if the ABS pump has a short, it could fry your EBCM. He did a "static" test - the ABS pump NOT running - and he did not detect a short.

It does not surprise me that you said you've only seen one fail, because nobody inventories these. None of his AC Delco suppliers had it and supposedly only 2 dealers in all of the U.S. have it. We're hoping one will ship it out to us.

Well now you've seen 3 of these problems - the 1 you knew about plus the 2 in this thread.

Love/hate relationship with this car. Nice car but a $1300 repair and 1200 miles to a quart of oil, and then the check engine light popping up last week has got me thinking about selling it. I haven't decided yet...

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
I was just surfing the web on my problem and came upon a website that may be a cheaper option for anyone having this problem in the future.

Its too late for me cause my mechanic has my car.

Anyhow its called ABSFIXER.COM

And no moderator, I have no ties to ABSFIXER.COM.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The one I saw had a fluid leak in the BPMV that got brake fluid on the circuit board and let the smoke out of the EBCM, I had to replace both parts but it was warranty and cost was not an issue.
I had no idea those were that expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts