Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS, 1998 Cadillac Deville (Base)
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the easiest way to remove the ABS pump motor is. There is a rusted/stripped screw on the EBTCM preventing me from removing it, and I need to remove the pump to get better access to the EBTCM. Also, I assume the brakes would eventually need to be bled, so would I be able to drive the car to a brakes shop while there is air in the system? I just don't want to mess with bleeding them. Thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Just unhook the lines and remove the 3 bolts that hold the whole unit in the car.
No it will not be driveable with air in the brake system once you do that.
It is in a really crappy spot I know.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
If your just replacing the EBTCM just grind the head off the stripped bolt, then slide the EBTCM off over the shaft of the bolt. Once its off grab the bolt with a pair of vice grips or something equivalent and back it out. The bolt is about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long so there will be plenty there to grab.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
If is ONLY the control module what you need to access, no need to remove the brake lines. All you have to do is unscrew the 5 screws holding the module attached to the pump/manifold assembly. I would say is easier to take just the module out than taking half the brake lines out.
The module is held in place by 5 screws (T20?) one in each corner plus one with a longer head serving as a mounting point for the assembly. Take the center (car center) bell thing with the rubber bushing out and then use a T20? to unscrew (that is the screw head). Then the module should come out.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I would agree with both of those posts above.
If you can try those things and not remove the pump it would be best because then you don't have to worry about bleeding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a guy who will just replace the whole abs pump for me if I can get the part. If I go to a junk yard, does the ebtcm usually come attached to the abs pump or are they sold separately, because I can't seem to find anywhere where they list the ebtcm separately.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
If you try to remove the whole pump you will probbly end up replacing at least half of the lines connected to it, if yours are as rusty as every other Cadillac I've been under.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Make really, really sure the EBTCM is from a ’96 STS!!!!
Although ’97 looks the same IT IS NOT. 97 has the yaw sensor provision and the ICCS2 data link from the road sensitive suspension (’97 and up).
So what I am trying to say there was ONE EBTCM in ‘96, another in ’97 (looking identically but different inside) and the another one in ’98 looking different than ‘96 and ’97 but similar with ’97 in functionality.
I am referring to the actual control module; the pump and manifold assembly is interchangeable between ‘97 and ’96.
95 is NOT good either because is OBDI. So be very careful, check all the numbers on the stickers and engraved on the aluminum manifold.
New the EBTCM (the control module) is ~$550 and the Pump/manifold assembly ~$1800, used you can not find separate (but is like $100). No fun at all…

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read in another thread that the ebtcms from all 95-96 sevilles, eldorados, and devilles were the same, because of a listing on the AC Delco parts website, is that true? You're saying that I can find the pump/ebtcm combo for around $100 used right? That's what I'm hoping for anyway. The possibility of rusted lines concerns me, but I guess I'll just have to take a chance. Thanks for your responses.

btw, heres that thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/101497-will-95-eldorado-ebtcm-fit-96-a.html

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Well I based my post (the ’95 – ’96 thing) on some pictures I have seen with ‘95 and ’96 EBTCM. The one on ’95 looked different than the one on ’96 witch looks like the one I got on my ’97 (but are not compatible). Well you don’t get the ABS light ON (using a ‘96 unit in a ’97 car) but you do get the ICCS2 codes (two codes). Not sure about the other way around. But since my knowledge is from a picture of a seller, and that post is based on a CF experience, I would trust the post. Maybe ’96 and ’95 units are the same (either work combo or ’96 had still OBDI on the EBTCM data line). ’96 was a transition year anyway.
Bottom line trust nothing but the NUMBERS on the EBTCM.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Agreed, the part numbers must match, be careful or you could have some major headaches.

Most salvage yards sell the BPMV and the EBCM as an assembly. They rarely split them.
I'd still avoid replacing the BPMV and pump assembly if possible.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd still avoid replacing the BPMV and pump assembly if possible.
I'd like to avoid it, but I dont know which is more trouble, trying to remove the EBTCM with a stripped screw while it's still in the car, or replacing the whole assembly.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
which screw is messed up?
You can get the screws new but I forgot how to order them. If you want I'll check with parts and package them up with this unit.
When it comes time I might be able to offer some tips to you about doing this job. On the car I was working on I found it really easy to do even though one of the screws broke.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stripped screw is the one on the top, closest to the front of the car. I just don't know if it would be possible to easily remove the screw while it is still in the car. I was able to access about 3 of the 5 screws with ease, but the screw on the bottom towards the cabin, and the middle screw seem like I would have a lot of trouble trying to reach them. I guess I could take it to my guy who said he would work on it, and see if he can get it off. I'm just trying to find the easiest way to do this. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If your just replacing the EBTCM just grind the head off the stripped bolt, then slide the EBTCM off over the shaft of the bolt. Once its off grab the bolt with a pair of vice grips or something equivalent and back it out. The bolt is about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long so there will be plenty there to grab.
Are you fairly sure that this would work? I also believe it would, but I read somewhere else that it was counter-sunken into the module (or is the center screw the only one). I just want to make sure before I grind the head off of the screw, thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The small screws are not counter-sunk into the housing.
Just be careful when you cut or drill the head off.
If you can get a tool on there and even break the head off that would be fine too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was finally able to remove the EBTCM from the car. I cleaned it and reconnected it just for the heck of it but nothing was any different, both the ABS and TCS were instantly on and they stayed on. I still have a constant, TC0073 (PCM-EBTCM Fault), so I'm just posting this to ask if there are any other bases I should cover, and if it's most likely time for a new EBTCM. Thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Bump this later and I'll look into it more but I am pretty busy so hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up getting an EBTCM from a junkyard. It took me a while to install it and put everything back together, but at least now the warning lights are off and I have my first gear back! I've driven over 100 miles so far and have had zero problems. A big thanks to everyone who helped me fix this problem.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sweet! I hope it stays off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts