Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shimmed out the reverse switch with one copper washer and the decrease in effort getting into reverse is unreal. The backup lamp still works properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't take any pics but here it is. Remove the sensor, #59 below, (need an offset wrench 7/8"), put a washer over it, put pipe thread sealant on the threads and reinstall. It's really easy to get to and plenty of engagement between the shaft and plunger after its shimmed out.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.
509 Posts
Will this allow you to accidently shift into reverse while driving?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. It has nothing to do with the lockout solenoid, just the backup light switch.

·
Registered
377 Posts
yea brian what made you even think to try this? What washer did you use size etc? I will be doing this over the weekend thats for sure.

I am also thinking about doing the anti-venom mod but dont want it to feel like a loose goose either lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The washer is smaller in diameter than the anti-venom mod one. I bought a variety pack of copper oil plug washers at Advance for $4.

Randy - I had it out on the workbench testing the switch because my reverse lights were constantly on. The idea came to me as I found the switch to be good and I measured the distance the plunger had to the shaft inside the trans.

Btw - It turns out that my wire has a short somewhere inside the engine harness. After trying to find it for an hour I gave up and ran a new wire from the connector next to the battery to the trans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. My linkage does not hit. The resistance is from the ball on the end of the switch.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
612 Posts
It appears possible from the exploded diagram, but is this mod possible to do from the underside of the car with the trans and its surrounding components fully installed? Will it be pissing fluid when the sensor is pulled? Fighting with reverse sucks; thankfully I don't have to do it often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It is absolutely possible without moving/removing anything. It's on the passenger side. I just raised that side of the car on jack stands and did it, no fluid will come out this way. There are bosses sticking out around the sensor so you can't use a standard wrench properly. You should use an offset wrench but I used a pair of needle nose vise grips to loosen and finger tightened then a regular box wrench to snug it since the sides luckily lined up after the washer was installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.