Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
For various reasons, I'd like to upgrade from the base Bose 8 system to Bose 10, hard drive w/o popup nav. Is this an intrusive upgrade or should the dealer be able to do this easily? By intrusive, I mean would the upgrade require removal of the whole dash, etc, that might lead to problems like squeaks later on.

scott

·
Registered
CTS '08
215 Posts
I do not know the answer to this, but there may be some aftermarket applications that look just as nice and will require less of an overhaul...I remember some units where it looks like a single DIN radio but a screen slides out and up...

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. Smithb, I guess that means pulling parts of the dash, running wiring harnesses, etc, yes?

I'm surprised Cadillac doesn't do like BMW and have everything pre-wired no matter what head unit you get.

Farg..there was a miscommunication between the salesperson and I before I got the car which lead me to believe the Bose 10 was coming with the car. I'd rather not have to start yanking the dash, pulling carpet on my new ride.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I would imagine that the difference is not in the head unit (dash) but in the control unit which is buried. I would think a switch of the control unit would take care of it. Call a local Delco radio repair store, your service department should be able to give you the number. They will be the ones to tell you if there any electrical issues such as wiring. They would also be the ones to supply the upgraded unit and cheaper than from the dealer.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. Smithb, I guess that means pulling parts of the dash, running wiring harnesses, etc, yes?

I'm surprised Cadillac doesn't do like BMW and have everything pre-wired no matter what head unit you get.

Farg..there was a miscommunication between the salesperson and I before I got the car which lead me to believe the Bose 10 was coming with the car. I'd rather not have to start yanking the dash, pulling carpet on my new ride.
Yes, I am not an expert, but in my 10 speaker system there is a speaker in the middle of the dash. This is the main speaker onstar and bluetooth use (they do use the other speakers, but I can definitely hear the sound coming mostly from the middle speaker), and the center channel if listening to 5.1 surround sound. At a minimum you would have to run wires (GM doesn't prewire everything in the car) to the other 2 speakers (I am guessing the center channel and the sub woofer), so you would have to take the trim off to hide it properly. Tucking it up doesn't work very well. I'm sure the other speakers are physically different as well. You can do it, but I doubt it would make a huge difference. You will probably get more of an improvement by simply replacing the existing speakers. You can upgrade to 2 or 3 way speakers for the door or rear deck and have more than "10" speakers as GM counts a tweeter and midrange speaker as 2, even if they are the same channel.

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carnut: I'm in between of a rock and a hard place. The short story is that I was told my car came with the 10 speaker Bose w/hdd (no nav), but when I picked up the car, it only had the 8 speaker base system. So, the upgrade is more to assuage my disappointment upon not getting what I expected. Secondly, it turns out that the current 8 speaker system has a problem with the gain coming from the rear door speakers. When fading from front to rear, the volume coming from the rears is only about 35% of the front. So its quite possible that to diagnose and fix the 8 speaker problem, that they'd have to pull panels anyway. Dims the beauty of my elegant new car. :sadeyes:

I should find out Monday from the dealer whether or not this upgrade will be doable. I mean, GM builds 'em, so they should be able to fix 'em, yes?

SmithB: Thanks for the input. I thought I saw a post detailing the differences between the 8 and 10 speaker units, but I can't find it now.

On the bright side, if they pull out everything, maybe I can pay them for the ambient lighting which I'd love to have.

·
Registered
'08 Cadillac CTS - DI/RWD - Fully Loaded & '08 SRX V6 AWD
14 Posts
Yes, I am not an expert, but in my 10 speaker system there is a speaker in the middle of the dash. This is the main speaker onstar and bluetooth use (they do use the other speakers, but I can definitely hear the sound coming mostly from the middle speaker), and the center channel if listening to 5.1 surround sound. At a minimum you would have to run wires (GM doesn't prewire everything in the car) to the other 2 speakers (I am guessing the center channel and the sub woofer), so you would have to take the trim off to hide it properly. Tucking it up doesn't work very well. I'm sure the other speakers are physically different as well. You can do it, but I doubt it would make a huge difference. You will probably get more of an improvement by simply replacing the existing speakers. You can upgrade to 2 or 3 way speakers for the door or rear deck and have more than "10" speakers as GM counts a tweeter and midrange speaker as 2, even if they are the same channel.

I have the 10-speaker HDD system in my car. The only difference between the 8 & 10 speaker system is the addition of 2 (left & right) rear channel speakers which are located on the rear deck. The center channel speaker you refer to on the front dash is in both 8 & 10 speaker model vehicles. I had a loaner with the base sound package & sure enough it was there in that car. Although the sound system in the 8 does not compare to the 10, both are good!

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just to round out this thread, I got final word on this from my dealer. They say the Bose 8 can't be upgraded to the Bose 10 because they'd have to replace the wiring harness, which is apparently a horrendous job. This is an unfortunate situation, as the salesperson had sent me an email with the configuration of the car saying that I was to get the Bose 10 system and I didn't get it. Thank you Frederick Cadillac.

I'm bummed.

·
Registered
2015 SRX4
107 Posts
As I stated in your other thread, there is a workaround for what you want. Not to complicated. Just ad two rear deck speakers, wire them into the existing rear door speakers and ad an MP3 player through the auxiliary jack.

The Power amp is in the trunk already so it is easy to wire the new rear deck speakers, any good stereo shop can do it for you. I would not ad Bose speakers to the rear deck, there are much better speakers available.

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carnut,
Thanks for that reminder; that seems like an adequate workaround. I don't necessarily need the highest output, as I'm careful not to blow my ears out these days with high decibels.

Will the existing power amp have enough juice to run the two back deck speakers? And what size are those speakers?

scott

·
Registered
2015 SRX4
107 Posts
Carnut,
Thanks for that reminder; that seems like an adequate workaround. I don't necessarily need the highest output, as I'm careful not to blow my ears out these days with high decibels.

Will the existing power amp have enough juice to run the two back deck speakers? And what size are those speakers?

scott
Scott

The 8 speaker system has one cutout in the rear window deck ( for the sub-woofer) so what ever size speakers you use, you will have to cut the deck metal panel. This gives you some latitude in speaker size choice. I do not know what the deck speaker size is on the 10 speaker system.
I would think a good co-axial 6" speaker would work well. If you do not listen at high volume levels, the stock amp should work fine.
Member- Giardina, has helped me with my system, perhaps an PM to him will help answer some of your questions. I have replaced ALL of the stock speakers on my 8 speaker system but it involved using a Qa5 aftermarket box and two additional power amplifiers. I just cut out the center speaker yesterday and it has much better stereo separation.
I still have onstar and phone audio through the other speakers. In my opinion, this center speaker should never had been added to a stereo system.

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the detail, Carnut. I did poke my head in the trunk and noticed the one speaker there and no other speaker brackets.

Since I have the issue that C "T" Ess is talking about (low output from rear speakers), I am going to first, take it to my local Caddy dealer to see if they can do anything about it. If they can't do anything about the problem, then I smell upgrade in the works. Thanks for the contact info.

C "T": I'll be taking my car in Thursday, so maybe I'll have some information for you before the weekend.

Let u know,
scott

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
C "T" Ess,
I had my dealer (Crown Caddy in NJ) check out the audio of the base 8 speaker Bose system in my car. They did a comparison to the audio in another CTS with the same base audio system and the result was similar: low output in the rear speakers. So it seems that all base Bose systems have this quirk.

This problem does not seem to occur in the higher end Boses.

Chalk another irritation up on the list.
scott

·
Registered
2015 SRX4
107 Posts
The 10 speaker system has a different, more powerful, power amp in the trunk. It has speaker wiring for the other two speakers. Apparently the 8 speaker system cuts the power to the subwoofer and rear speakers as you increase the radio volume. I think this is done to protect the cheap sub and rear speakers from damage at higher volumes.
This is why I replaced all the speakers to Boston Acoustics and added additional amps. The Qe5 box ( about $100.) lets you remove the pre-programed volume cut you are talking about. It allows total control of each individual speaker in your system. I have been tweaking my system and I find no need to add more than the 8 speakers to achieve a fantastic stereo image in the cab (after cutting out the center dash speaker) Onstar still works fine through the other speakers.
You might try just adding a Qe5 box and see if this meets your needs, you said you do not listen at high volumes. an added plus is you retain all your radio control for further adjustments.

·
Registered
2009 Blue Diamond CTS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Good call, nut. I will look into this.

Edit:
Carnut,
I can't seem to find that part number on BA's site, Google, on Crutchfield or CarstereoWorld.com. Is that the correct part number?

thanks again,
scott

1 - 20 of 30 Posts