Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

My 86 Fleetwood Brougham which I drive every day to work and back has started making a squealing noise. I assume it's the belts? It's that real stupid noise that makes you want snap when your all tired and cranky haha. I just want to make sure before I go buy them.

Thanks

-butter

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
If it is a single serpentine belt it is very easy to change. Inspect the belt, if it is cracked, checked or very shiny it is time to replace it. You will have a tensioner pulley that can be moved with the right size socket wrench, may be 3/8" drive, may be 1/2" drive. With the wrench, rotate the pulley to relieve tension on the belt, remove the belt.

With the belt off, check the tensioner pulley and make sure it spins easily. If not, it needs to be replaced. Check the rest of the pulleys, water pump, alternator, air compressor, air pump, make sure they all spin freely and quietly, not sloppily.

Put the new belt on, there should be a diagram under the hood showing the proper routing of the belt, if there is none then make one for yourself before removing the belt to remind you how it goes.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I think those Broughams have normal belts. If you open the hood you should be able to hear if that's where it's coming from or not.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
This car was notorious for a loose smog pump belt that would cause the alternator to slip mostly when started for the first time of the day. Must be tightened from under the car, not a fun job. If the belts are over 2 or 3 yrs old replace them. The sqealing belt is probably already glazed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts