Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday night, at like 2:30 am (okay, Saturday morning...:bouncy:), a gorgeous white, lowered, E92 M3 passes a few cars and enters a clearing on the 5S freeway (in So Cal); he's slowly catching up to me. (Note that I'm NOT a wiz on the whole E9* thing---that's the new, 414hp one, yes?)

Realizing/recognizing that this is an M3 and since I haven't found a sole to putt-putt with me since I did my mods, I opted to downshift into 3rd gear (about, say, 70ish mph) and wait for him to jump on it.

Sure enough, he did.

God-damn thing sure has some giddyup, that I can tell you. I was SLOWLY pulling him in 3rd gear and it wasn't until 4th gear that I really started to walk him, but damn---that car was pretty damn fast. Cool guy. He eventually caught up to me, turned on his interior light and gave me a thumbs up (which I returned, but I'm not sure he saw me), then got off the freeway shortly thereafter.

It is my belief, at this moment, that his car wasn't stock. Why? Because I believe I should have walked him a lot easier than I did given the mods that I have.

If that sucker was stock, Jesus...watch out, those cars are pretty fast.

If I understand correctly, some fairly simple bolt-ons on those new M3s and they can run high 11s...

·
Banned
STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
3,404 Posts
FINALLY!! You got someone to bite...

Congrats. Socal M3, not too many of those stay stock for too long.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

On Friday night, at like 2:30 am (okay, Saturday morning...:bouncy:), a gorgeous white, lowered, E92 M3 passes a few cars and enters a clearing on the 5S freeway (in So Cal); he's slowly catching up to me. (Note that I'm NOT a wiz on the whole E9* thing---that's the new, 414hp one, yes?)

Realizing/recognizing that this is an M3 and since I haven't found a sole to putt-putt with me since I did my mods, I opted to downshift into 3rd gear (about, say, 70ish mph) and wait for him to jump on it.

Sure enough, he did.

God-damn thing sure has some giddyup, that I can tell you. I was SLOWLY pulling him in 3rd gear and it wasn't until 4th gear that I really started to walk him, but damn---that car was pretty damn fast. Cool guy. He eventually caught up to me, turned on his interior light and gave me a thumbs up (which I returned, but I'm not sure he saw me), then got off the freeway shortly thereafter.

It is my belief, at this moment, that his car wasn't stock. Why? Because I believe I should have walked him a lot easier than I did given the mods that I have.

If that sucker was stock, Jesus...watch out, those cars are pretty fast.

If I understand correctly, some fairly simple bolt-ons on those new M3s and they can run high 11s...

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I was a betting guy, I'd say he was expecting a stock car, or at least one he could walk pretty easy. I'm fairly sure he probably said, "Damn" when I got on it. :cool2:

Still, that friggin car was pretty fast though. I need to check the curb weight of those cars, for I need to figure out why they are so damn fast. lol

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Stock for stock, you should pull somewhat steadily.

What was funny was when I had just picked up the V2, I had an e92 M3 that wanted to play. I had just gotten out of San Antonio, I had barely set my seat adjustments, when he wanted to go. I'm totally out of sorts, soaking in the feel of the new beast, talking on the Bluetooth and I just couldn't go at the time. Nevermind racing in Texas w/ MA plates seems a bit risky...

·
0 Posts
He was probably talking to himself the rest of the weekend and then on the phone to Dinan this morning, ordering more goodies.

·
Registered
2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.
498 Posts
What part of I-5, may I ask? I assume OC, south of 91? I only assume that as the rest is pretty rough.

Damn, I want one of these...haha.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
Ibtl?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
332 Posts
I test drove an E92 and found the torque to be anorexic. I bought a E60 M5 instead which was sufficient enough for daily driving. It's a fun car to drive because of the high redline. I also think it looks beautiful from the outside, especially in white with some carbon fiber exterior pieces (I've already seen a few of these on the highways). I haven't gotten one of them to race my car yet though.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
BMUU seems to have woke up some on the torque issue as the new 5 series (550i) will have a 400HP / 450 TQ option. It will be interesting to see what they end up with on the new M5.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
332 Posts
BMUU seems to have woke up some on the torque issue as the new 5 series (550i) will have a 400HP / 450 TQ option. It will be interesting to see what they end up with on the new M5.
Rumors are it will be a V8TT based on the motor in the 5 series, or a V10TT (which would be incredible).

If you look at the potential of the 335i's, then you know the new twin turbo M5 will be a total monster when modded.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood
388 Posts
Yeah, those E92's aren't slow. I raced one at a racetrack in Mexico a little while ago in my '02 Z06 with bolt-ons (450hp), and while I beat it and pulled away pretty easily, especially into the triple digits, that pesky M3 didn't fall back in my rearview mirror as quickly as I thought it would. They are MUCH faster than the E46 M3, which wasn't even a contest.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
boys, remember, no bench racing allowed......not good for our site or for the public roads, if you know what I mean.

F

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.