Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a tuneup on my caddy, I start getting the E39 code. Wasn't getting it before. I changed the ISC motor (was getting E30), plugs(got ac delco), wires, coil. I didn't put a new distributor cap or rotor on because they looked fine. What could be making the engine miss? Is the miss aslo related to the E39 code. By the way I also did not pass emissions here in Tennessee. Said my hyrocarbon level was 1181 and it should be 220 or less.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I think a miss will cause VSS problems. Do you think you have some crossed plug wires? I have only heard of one person getting rid of the E39 code but can't remember what he/she did but it may have been a tune up. You could try searching for E39 issues but I think your miss and high hydrocarbon level is causing it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get rid of this code on my '91. Can't remember if it was changing the ISC motor or doing a second or third tuneup. Could the timing being off cause the hydrocarbon level to be that high?

·
Registered
1991 Sedan DeVille
8 Posts
I know this sounds crasy but it happens sometimes to the best of us. I recently did a full tune up on my 91' and I made the mistake of crossing two plug wires. Go back over the wires again if that doesnt work try cleaning out the throttle body.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
19 Posts
My '91 SDV has a bad fuel injector on cylinder #4. It ohms out very high (150K) compared to the other injectors (10 - 15 ohms). Consequently, I experience rough idle and while driving at certain RPM / throttle ranges, the car runs rough. I have no fault codes, however.

You may want to check the resistance through each of the fuel injectors. I believe the Haynes repair Manual has a diagram of the injector electrical harness in the chassis electrical system section. Make sure you follow the fuel system de-pressurization procedure, in case you decide to open or remove the fuel rail.

I'll be changing out the suspect injector on my car as soon as possible; I'll report my results afterwards.

Good luck and best regards.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll double check my wires. I have crossed them before on my '91 SDV. Pain in the butt.
I'm suspecting an injector is not working properly since I had a similar problem on my '91 before it caught on fire. Planned on replacing the injectors to get better gas mileage. Right now I just need to pass emissions by next week. Any tips anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts