Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
VSS=vehicle speed sensor. It generates an electrical signal that represents the speed the vehicle is traveling. The code can be set: faulty sensor, loose wiring. It is set when: a speed signal is not being received by the ECM when in OD.

·
Registered
1984 coupe deville 4.1 67,000original/1991 sedan deville 4.9
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It came on when i was pulling my vehicle up on car ramps, does that make sense?

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
You may have somehow caused the code to set when ramping. Clear codes and see if it returns before being concerned. Minimum you'd notice some weird behavior on your speedometer and or driving response if the VSS is truly faulty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may have somehow caused the code to set when ramping. Clear codes and see if it returns before being concerned. Minimum you'd notice some weird behavior on your speedometer and or driving response if the VSS is truly faulty.
The light went off when i came down off the ramps. But sometimes I notice that at a stop light it will jump a little bit now and again, or if i rev it up in park or neutral.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The sensor is a permanent magnet and can attract little tiny metallic dust etc, the location of it can get pretty dirty. It may just need to be cleaned, and connectors reseated. If the problem gets worse the car will start driving real weird, your speedo will act up, etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sensor is a permanent magnet and can attract little tiny metallic dust etc, the location of it can get pretty dirty. It may just need to be cleaned, and connectors reseated. If the problem gets worse the car will start driving real weird, your speedo will act up, etc.
Driving weird as in how? Where are these sensors located anyways?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here is a link to a thread re: e024

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/86442-1991-deville-4-9-speedometer-transmission.html

the VSS, located on the lower RH rear of Transaxle sends signals to the PCM regarding the speed of the vehicle that control the Speedometer, the Passive Restraint Timer Module (airbags), and the Computer Command Ride control (air struts). The operation of any of those systems may become intermittent or inoperative if the sensor isn't working properly. IDK all there is to know about it but it is pretty easy to get at and at least check the wiring and clean it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a link to a thread re: e024

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/86442-1991-deville-4-9-speedometer-transmission.html

the VSS, located on the lower RH rear of Transaxle sends signals to the PCM regarding the speed of the vehicle that control the Speedometer, the Passive Restraint Timer Module (airbags), and the Computer Command Ride control (air struts). The operation of any of those systems may become intermittent or inoperative if the sensor isn't working properly. IDK all there is to know about it but it is pretty easy to get at and at least check the wiring and clean it.
Well my airbag light stays on, and blinks a series of 3 times every so often, and my air pump for my shocks only operates after i shut off the car for 3-5 minuites, no matter how the car is setting. Or if i turn the key on and back off, it will do the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts