Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Cadillacker's, Im newby Eldo ralph. Problem, my 92 Eldo emergency brake release is not working, is this elect or vacuum ? It should release when trans is put in gear, have to reach down on foot pedal and trip lever. Is this a big deal, any one had this problem? what should I look for to correct problem. Brake system is all in good condition,24k since brake job,car has 84k miles and i'ts in exc, condition ( yes, my Service ride control) monitor is on, that's almost normal. Will get into that later. Thanks for any comment's Rallph.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Look up uder the dash at the pb mechanism to see if it has a little silver, cylinder shaped gizmo with a vacuum hose going into the end of it. That's the release. The diaphragm inside leaks over time and, most times is the reason the brake won't release. They're not too expensive, but they're a real pain to change due to the tight quarters you have to work in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 92 seville and when I had that problem,the cause was an egg shaped vacuum canister that sits in the passenger side front fender. It is under the car and just in front of the front tire. I think it cost about $12 to get a new one.....if thats the problem. The vacuum hose may have just come off the canister.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wrolinfat said:
I have a 92 seville and when I had that problem,the cause was an egg shaped vacuum canister that sits in the passenger side front fender. It is under the car and just in front of the front tire. I think it cost about $12 to get a new one.....if thats the problem. The vacuum hose may have just come off the canister.
Found the black egg under the fender, checked it out, didn't leak. Now I'll try the silver thing under the dash, hate under dash work. Thanks for the info, will post what I find. Rallph

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine works...almost. When i got the car the hose was hanging on the floor and I could hear the hissing sound only when i was in gear. I hooked that up and it functions normally. The problem is that the pedal doesn't come all the way up to the rubber stop, just enough to free the wheels. This causes the brake light to stay on. I can bring it all the way up with my hand or foot and it will stay. Any clue?

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
elektro said:
Mine works...almost. When i got the car the hose was hanging on the floor and I could hear the hissing sound only when i was in gear. I hooked that up and it functions normally. The problem is that the pedal doesn't come all the way up to the rubber stop, just enough to free the wheels. This causes the brake light to stay on. I can bring it all the way up with my hand or foot and it will stay. Any clue?
Sounds like it's out of adjustment. Does it go down abnormally low?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know what normal would be. It goes to about an inch from the carpet behind it. Doesn't it automatically adjust through use? or Does applying the brakes in reverse adjust the e. brake?

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Kind of. The brakes compensate for brake lining wear only. If your parking brake cable is stretched, or if the return springs are fatigued, then it wuldn't come all of the way up. The cable is adjustable, usually at the point under the car where it splits from one cable into two. If you have another car to compare with, give that cable a tug and feel how much resistance it has. Then tug yours. If the cable is loose up until a point, then the cable has stretched through normal wear. All you have to do is snug it up. If the cable is loose all the way untill it stops, then have your brakes checked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 81 Fleetwood it just started making the hissing noise under the driver side dash I think it is the vacuum thign for the e break. If I pinch the fat hose that comes into the car the sound stops. Also the manual release for the e break is pulled up inside the cylinder thing if I pinch the hose it comes back down. I took off the hose the fat hose from the "T" and it had a suction I didn't know what it was so I reconested it. Is there any way to stop this noise?

·
Registered
1989 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance, 1972 VW Superbeetle baja
39 Posts
where does the other end of the vacuum hose go to? i have that same problem with the E-brake release and i need to know exactly where the hose goes to just in case i have to replace it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts