Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody try running E-85 in their new V yet? The manual seems to say it's ok? I did a search for E-85 and nothing came up.

noelvm

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
NO!

Page 5-8 of your Owner's Manual says the following:

"However, E85 (85% Ethanol) and other fuels containing more than 10% Ethanol must not be used in vehicles that were not designed for those fuels"
All GM vehicle that are E85 capable have a "Flex Fuel" badge on the decklid. Using E85 in your CTS-V will ruin the fuel system, and possibly the engine.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
NO the controller is not set up for E85.

You can turn it all on and set up all the tables, but without a REAL E85 fuel sensor in the line and wiring in all that, you will not have a very good setup.

The percentages from tank to tank and station to station are all over the place and the calibration stoich point will be wrong every tank until you adjust it each time to be back to the blend..

More of a pain.... yeah and 40% less mileage and for not a major gain on the top end..

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
NO the controller is not set up for E85.

You can turn it all on and set up all the tables, but without a REAL E85 fuel sensor in the line and wiring in all that, you will not have a very good setup.

The percentages from tank to tank and station to station are all over the place and the calibration stoich point will be wrong every tank until you adjust it each time to be back to the blend..

More of a pain.... yeah and 40% less mileage and for not a major gain on the top end..
Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!! Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Thanks Jesse. And the gov't wants us to use E85 with those inconsistencies? Jeez, ethanol FTL due to lack of planning.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Do not use E85.
The manual does not say it is okay anymore than it says it's okay to use Kerosene.
There is no gain, no money savings, no benefit to the environment or whatever cheesy tree hugger justification you are looking for.
If it has a yellow fuel cap, go ahead and use E85, otherwise....

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,004 Posts
..............and now the Corn Lobby, stung by decreasing fuel sales, big investor pressure, and increasing Ethanol inventories, is lobbying the EPA to mandate the use of E15 wherever modified fuels are required. Even E15 can cause real driveability problems in cars not tuned for it.

Go to www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm and surf around to find out if your state/county requires reformulated fuels (all 3 grades will always carry the same ethanol load, contrary to popular belief), and do some linking to find out what the EPA is up to. It will scare the devil out of you.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!
2,460 Posts
Aw crap! No E85 in a 556 h.p. performance Nurburgringer? That's a dealbreaker for me.:stirpot:
:alchi:

Love the tree hugger thing ewill...:histeric:

Damn security tokens

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
There is no gain, no money savings, no benefit to the environment or whatever cheesy tree hugger justification you are looking for.
LOL, so true! All it's done is to drive up food prices due to reduced availability. I'm as much a tree-hugger as anyone else (I DO own two Hondas, after all) but poor planning has rendered ethanol useless. I don't see any E85 pumps around Cleveland, that's for sure. I'd rather drive a hybrid.

·
Registered
2009 CTSV, silver, manual
213 Posts
LOL, so true! All it's done is to drive up food prices due to reduced availability. I'm as much a tree-hugger as anyone else (I DO own two Hondas, after all) but poor planning has rendered ethanol useless. I don't see any E85 pumps around Cleveland, that's for sure. I'd rather drive a hybrid.
I hear ya. An E85 pump opened in my town a couple years ago to much fanfare. At the time I had a Suburban that was E85 capable, so I used it now and then, but it rarely cost 20% less than 87 octane gasoline, and since I saw a 20% drop in MPG it usually made no financial sense. E85 needs to be used with something like variable compression engine technology that would up the compression ratio when on the high octane E85 to make more power and/or be more efficient. I have not heard of technology like that. For economy, I'd rather drive a diesel anyway.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Yeah, diverting/displacing food-grade crops to produce motor vehicle fuel is pretty moronic :thepan: Now cellulosic ethanol I could get behind.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I am all for protecting the environment but I don't do it for retarded reasons or nothing that has a base in reality. I know everything they say on the news is a fact so sometimes it is hard to balance "facts" with reality. :lol:
I'm just so tired of hearing all this E85 dribble. It is just about quite simply the dumbest thing I have ever seen. All that time and money spent on something less efficient. It takes more energy to make it than you get out of it.
(based on my research) Add that to reduced fuel economy for a lower price and you are right back where you started only your fields are now dedicated to growing fuel rather than food. What would Sally Struthers say?

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Well then I guess I'll have to wait on getting a V2 until they come out with the E85 version. I wouldn't feel right owning a car that gets 11mpg unless I was helping the world fuel supply and the environment . . .

:alchi:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
:lol:
"Save the Earth" is a joke anyway. After mankind has destroyed himself the Earth will shake, rattle, and roll and you'll never know we were here.
The Earth will be just fine in the long run. It's us that will be destroyed.
We need to do this crap to save ourselves, not the planet!
This planet don't care if we are here or not!

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
he who has more money wins and is always correct.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The idea that alcohol based fuels are going to save the planet is one of the dumb ideas that politicians have latched on to in order to try and look "green." As has been pointed out, more energy and more water is used to make the fuel than is saved in its use. There might be a slight reduction in environmental pollutions (can you say "green house gases") using such fuels, but it is certainly not enough to justify the additional costs and won't save the planet.

Having climbed on to my soap box, let me say that it has been repeatedly demonstrated that global warming (and cooling) is a natural cycle that the earth goes through periodically, and contrary to what some opportunists (such as Al Gore) say, human contribution to this process is negligible. Global warming is happening, but nothing that man does will stop it or even slow it down significantly. The only current technologically feasible possibilities for saving energy and reducing pollution are wind, solar, geothermal, and tidal effects. E85 gasoline is not one of these.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I haven't researched it completely but I am fairly excited about hydrogen fuel cell technology.
I have seen a fuel cell car in action and I was quite impressed.
The cost has to be greatly reduced to make it feasible but....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts