1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dynomax Super Turbo review.

NORTHSTAR exhaust HISTORY

Cadillac wanted its owners to hear the powerful sound of the Northstar V8 in action, but early [aging] owners told Cadillac that there was a little too much of this. In 1995 the Northstar Cadillac family adopted a quieter exhaust system, largely due to a resonator behind the cat, and larger, more restrictive mufflers (5"x11" x 20" with internal tubing reduced to a pathetic 1.5").

NEEDS/WANTS

The Eldorado had always been marketed as a personal luxury car. It had traditionally represented refined American muscle with style (think of the 500ci torque monster). My Eldorado was too quiet for my taste. I wanted to hear the V8 under the hood at times other than when mashing the gas pedal.

I was not looking for a crakly bark that might startle the folks next to me at a traffic light, but rather a deep, tuned, mellow burble. Something not out of character for a Cadillac. I also wanted the car to breathe better. I didn't want the car to sound like I was 85 years old (no offense to those in that age range). I was intrigued by the 2002 Collector's Edition Eldorados which had a revised exhaust system that provided a deep burble inspired by the original 1953 model.

INSTALLATION
I cut the stock 2" oval pipe (1 7/8" x 2") as close to the OEM 20" muffler as possible (this was a time-consuming task, as I was using a hacksaw). I then used pipe adapters (2" OD to 2" ID) to connect the stock pipe to a flexible pipe (2" OD), that slid inside the Dynomax Super Turbo 17762 muffler. I used 2" clamps (8 total), and Quiksteel, to ensure an airtight seal.

RESULTS
I was very surprised to hear the car after installing the Super Turbos--it was producing a very soft, deep burble at idle. Think Detroit muscle, except muted. The sound is not loud or offensive at all. The reason I was surprised, is that originally I anticipated the exhaust tone to remain the same, except louder. Instead, this tone is so much lower that it's almost subwoofer-like. It has a deep rich burble that sounds expensive (think W12 Bentley Continental GT).

I was told that these mufflers come alive after 2500, but in my experience they begin to "clean up" at that point to sound lighter (yet much richer than stock). At higher RPMs (3500+ RPMs) the engine overtones take over resulting in a very high precision mechanical sound, breathing freely. I don't think this muffler makes WOT any louder than stock.

When cruising at 45 mph you can't hear the exhaust. The only time I notice it is while accelerating through 1750-2000 RPMs due to it's deep tone. I'm not sure I would call it drone, but it's almost as if that tone is in tune with the cabin, resulting in partial resonance. This RPM range is usually transitional, so you only hear that during acceleration, or under load (going up a hill?).

CONCLUSION.
My understanding is that it is the best of both worlds, in terms of increasing exhaust flow (376 cfm vs. 225 cfm stock), while sounding mellow and well mannered.

If you're looking for a hot rod sound, that says "look at me!" this is definitely not the muffler you want. But if what you want is to hear a deep, mellow burble at idle and to hear the engine sing when you mash the gas--look no further. This Eldorado purrs. :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree completly;

My stock muffler had a hole in it a year ago, stock replacements were over $700. So I took the 94 ELDO to the local muffler shop and I told them I wanted a "little" bit of sound to it. They put on Dynomax's and the ELDO purrs like a baby tiger. My next eldo is also getting Dynomax. I like the sound much better then the Flowmasters on my old Grand Prix GTP.

Under $200 installed, a must for any Northstar ELDO.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
Oh boy, am I tempted!

My '95 Z-28 friend just doesn't seem to understand why I beat him. My exhaust is factory, his aftermarket. His is a bit louder than my stock Eldorado.

His sounds sweet. It "burbles." I'm wondering if mine might sound better if I went that Dynomax way?

Let's see . . . . two "burbles" on the rocks . . . . :) :) :) . . . . yeah!

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WarrenJ said:
Oh boy, am I tempted!

My '95 Z-28 friend just doesn't seem to understand why I beat him. My exhaust is factory, his aftermarket. His is a bit louder than my stock Eldorado.

His sounds sweet. It "burbles." I'm wondering if mine might sound better if I went that Dynomax way?

Let's see . . . . two "burbles" on the rocks . . . . :) :) :) . . . . yeah!

Regards,
Warren
As you know, the Northstar "sings" very nicely. I wouldn't be surprised if yours would end up sounding better than his, both at idle and when revving, but especially when revving it.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
I am also looking at installing dynomax mufflers on my STS, and I think this post has sold me...I too am looking for that deep burble, nothing obnoxious, just a little more mean sounding, and of course a few extra ponies never hurts anyone :)

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
mtflight said:
As you know, the Northstar "sings" very nicely. I wouldn't be surprised if yours would end up sounding better than his, both at idle and when revving, but especially when revving it.
Yup, the temptation just grows.

I expect to be looking for a newer Eldorado come this Spring. Much as I'd like to go out with a "bang," I think it best to preserve this one as a stock vehicle for the next owner.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WarrenJ said:
Yup, the temptation just grows.

I expect to be looking for a newer Eldorado come this Spring.
Hey Warren, how many miles on your Eldo, how long have you owned it, and what is your "review"?

I really enjoy mine--even just sitting in it after I get home, listening to the radio. I enjoy driving it in the rain, feeling safe and watching the Rainsense technology in action. I enjoy its comfort and its looks too. Now, of course, I also enjoy the deep rumble of its tuned exhaust.

I purchased an extended warranty with mine, that I haven't needed (that's a good thing), so other than this and that, it's been reliable, and a pleasure to own and drive.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
484 Posts
In a year or two I hopeing to have saved enough up to get my own Eldorado. I think a mid-90's will be in my 3-5 thousand dollar range. I might end up with my dad's deville but I would prefer the Eldorado, same engine, smaller package, must be pretty fast for a FWD. If I had some cash last year I would have jumped all over someone selling one for 500 bucks just because the front bumper needed replacement, I know thats an expensive repair but I'd imagine would've been well under 3 grand, probibly under 2.

One of my friends fathers had a black with the chrome wheels and I assume he had an exhaust tuned because it purred great at idle and came to life when he pulled away. Just enough sound as if to say "you wish you had all this power under your right foot".

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
How much more power does it unleash? 5 HP? 10? Does it result in a noticeable economy improvement?

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thu said:
How much more power does it unleash? 5 HP? 10? Does it result in a noticeable economy improvement?
I'm afraid I can't answer that. Dyno before and after would answer that.

If it does unleash more power [better fuel economy] it would be on the high end of the rev spectrum, like a Corsa exhaust system.

I swear it "feels" faster, but no way to measure it objectively.

No straight through design here, so not as much gains as Corsa/Magnaflows, but I can tell you that when I installed only one the first evening (it was in the 40s) I could see and feel much more flow out of that muffler than out of the stock one.

So it DOES reduce backpressure, but how that affects the powerband or fuel economy, who knows. Anecdotal accounts state it does increase fuel economy by a few points.

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
mtflight said:
Hey Warren, how many miles on your Eldo, how long have you owned it, and what is your "review"?
Baby joined the homestead at 99K miles on St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) 2003. It's the fourth vehicle in a row I bought on St. Patrick's Day, and believe it or not, that wasn't planned. Although, I expect to make an effort to make it five in a row considering the good luck I've had over the years with my Paddy cars.

I've done the water pump, radiator (unnecessary really, just wanted to play it safe), passive front struts and rear shocks. Also usspeedonline.com monogrammed floor mats.

Baby now has 126K miles under her corset and has never let me down. Some days I just enjoy looking out the window at her.

Here's a recent snap of Baby:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBucket/MotorPKWY.jpg (183KB)

Now did a '95 Camaro ever look like that? Enjoy luxuries like that? GO like that?

Regards,
Warren

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Glad they worked out for ya, man.

In contrast to the Dynomax, my Magnaflows are definately more of the "look at me (because I can hand you your ass)" kind of mufflers. Before I welded them on, I had driven the car around a bit with no mufflers on, to be honest there's not a whole lot of difference between the Magnaflows and no mufflers attached to the stock pipe. (Running it with the catback off completely will make your ears bleed after 5 miles on the freeway, just as an FYI. Was about as loud as the open header 426 hemi running in the next lane at the strip.) Anyway I might ditch the Magnaflows, go with stock mufflers. Then if I can find room, stick one of the Magnaflows (they're 2.5") on a pre-cat cutout, so I can have a stock quiet exhaust when I want it and a very agressive (but not deafening) sound with the flip of a switch.

But none of this has to do with dynomax and I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm done so I'll be quiet now.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Mtflight,

Very good review and write up on the Eldo exhaust. Sounds like it came out of a magazine. You ought to do write ups for Car & Driver or one of those.

Glad you like the Dynomaxes. I still enjoy mine after 3 years.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
484 Posts
After I did some WOTs yesterday my Deville's exhaust sounds alot better, guess I cleaned some junk out. Now I just need to find a way to convince my dad to let me "tune it" :p

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eldyfig said:
Mtflight,

Very good review and write up on the Eldo exhaust. Sounds like it came out of a magazine. You ought to do write ups for Car & Driver or one of those.

Glad you like the Dynomaxes. I still enjoy mine after 3 years.
Hey thanks for the compliment Eldyfig, and also thanks for all your help and patience when I was researching these. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
davesdeville said:
Glad they worked out for ya, man.

...Before I welded them on, I had driven the car around a bit with no mufflers on, to be honest there's not a whole lot of difference between the Magnaflows and no mufflers attached to the stock pipe. (Running it with the catback off completely will make your ears bleed after 5 miles on the freeway, just as an FYI. Was about as loud as the open header 426 hemi running in the next lane at the strip.)...

But none of this has to do with dynomax and I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm done so I'll be quiet now.
Thanks for all your input as well David. I had lots of questions for a long time, and you were very helpful.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can we get some pictures? also is this possible for my 1995 sts, could u give me a link to what i need to buy ( please) and also if possible can u give me a heads up on a catalyitic (sp?) converter, PRETTY PLEASE, thanks in advance

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AdnanBomova said:
Can we get some pictures? also is this possible for my 1995 sts, could u give me a link to what i need to buy ( please) and also if possible can u give me a heads up on a catalyitic (sp?) converter, PRETTY PLEASE, thanks in advance
I kept the stock tips, so it looks the same from the exterior--it just happens to sound pretty awesome, IMHO.

This is what I got:
Dynomax Super Turbo 17762

The 17730 has better flow specifications, but is slightly quieter.

The 17746 is the largest replacement, which is even quieter, but is the same dimensions as the existing muffler--so it's easier to align the tips.

Davesdeville mentioned aligning the tips was the challenge so I purchased a flexible aluminized tube and twisted it on both ends of the muffler to make up for the missing pipe, along with pipe adapters and U-bolt clamps.

On the second muffler i got lazy and only used the flex pipe on one end, but unfortunately the tips on that side did not align very well--so I need to redo it.

For ~100 you could probably have a muffler shop install them.

The mufflers I got for under $40 each from www.summitracing.com

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts