Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V (Sold) 2005 Maggie CTS-V (Sold) 2005 Raven #3
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to the dyno this morining with the maggie for the first time. I only made 417 rwhp and 408 ftlb torque. From what I have read I should at least be at 430 with my setup. Maggie,2.6 pulley, 1 3/4" kooks, corsa cat back. My first run was 416, then 410, we let the car cool off and he tuned it and changed the fuel maps then we got the 417 on the last run. They dyno was a dynojet, I will try and scan the dyno sheet in later today. What gives for these low numbers??? :banghead:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, very true but I was thinking at least 425rwhp.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
358 Posts
Well, now I don't feel so bad. I made 418 on a mustang dyno with stock exhaust manifolds, no cats, cia, and an older style maggie with the 2.8. I wonder how the 7/8 kooks lt's will affect my numbers...

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
457 Posts
Very low numbers - Are they your average at 4 or 5K rpm or what. Definitly not your peek.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was installed when I bougt the car, I'm not sure on the a/f ratio I will have to look at the sheet. Those were peak numbers. I can't belive they are so low. : (

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air fuel was straight red line at 13 and blue curvey one that is about 11.5 - 11.8 across the sheet.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
On a dynojet, with a 2.6" pulley???

NO WAY. Something seems very, very off. I'd expect those numbers from a 2.8" pulley and even then the HP number seems low (rwtq seems about spot on in my mind).

To be used for "LOOSE" comparison purposes only (as dynos around the US vary, sometimes greatly...but I've seen A LOT of dyno runs over the past several years on V1s with maggie, including over 50 pulls on my car alone)

A 2.8" pulley, with a decent tune, say, 440-450 rwhp, 410-420 rwtq.
A 2.6" pulley, with a decent tune, say, 460-470 rwhp, 445-455 rwtq.

Unfortunately, you don't have a base dyno run, which I believe is probably the single most important thing to have done to your car before doing anything...that way, you can start to narrow down your issues.

Since you don't, take it from someone who experienced this first hand a few times, and it torched my numbers as well...

CHECK FOR BELT SLIP.

Even better, install a boost gauge (at the back of the blower intake manifold--there's a nice spot to attach to, perhaps using a "T") and CHECK YOUR BOOST WHILE IT'S ON THE DYNO. Using the dyno sheet, as well as watching/charting the boost gauge, it almost becomes easy to see if you have slip, as your numbers won't be "smooth," they'll often jump or be erratic

I'm willing to bet you are only getting about 6-8 lbs of boost, which is what you should be getting with a 2.8". No slip, a 2.6" should get you in the neighborhood of, say, 8-10 lbs.

EDIT--I missed that you have headers, so the boost numbers above might not be very accurate. I believe your boost will go DOWN in this situation, due to better breathing. This should NOT screw up your rwhp/rwtq though...

This is EXACTLY why I went to the 8" crankshaft pulley by the way...belt slip was torching my numbers. HOWEVER, even when I was getting "bad" numbers due to belt-slip, they still weren't as low as you are getting (and I get to use really sh*tty CA gas, which is another drawback...). It could be something on top of belt slip, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet you're getting belt slip.

EDIT--Another thing just popped into my mind and I know this is silly, BUT it happened to me---TWICE...Did the dyno operator have any dyno "brake" system on when reading your car? For instance, was an air compressor turned on while your car was on the dyno? It might activate some dyno restrictions/brakes that can significantly impact your results.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
how is it that bolt-on Kenne Belles on Cobras are doing 500+++++ RWHP easily, yet us V1 owners are very satisfied when a $5000 supercharger gets us from 340 to 410rwhp (no other mods)

better supercharger?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Im with Luna- Id like to know what the boost is coming up to..
Cowan

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Also get your Intake air temps. I think that's what brought my numbers down.
Heat soak is a bitch.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On a dynojet, with a 2.6" pulley???

NO WAY. Something seems very, very off. I'd expect those numbers from a 2.8" pulley and even then the HP number seems low (rwtq seems about spot on in my mind).

To be used for "LOOSE" comparison purposes only (as dynos around the US vary, sometimes greatly...but I've seen A LOT of dyno runs over the past several years on V1s with maggie, including over 50 pulls on my car alone)

A 2.8" pulley, with a decent tune, say, 440-450 rwhp, 410-420 rwtq.
A 2.6" pulley, with a decent tune, say, 460-470 rwhp, 445-455 rwtq.

Unfortunately, you don't have a base dyno run, which I believe is probably the single most important thing to have done to your car before doing anything...that way, you can start to narrow down your issues.

Since you don't, take it from someone who experienced this first hand a few times, and it torched my numbers as well...

CHECK FOR BELT SLIP.

Even better, install a boost gauge (at the back of the blower intake manifold--there's a nice spot to attach to, perhaps using a "T") and CHECK YOUR BOOST WHILE IT'S ON THE DYNO. Using the dyno sheet, as well as watching/charting the boost gauge, it almost becomes easy to see if you have slip, as your numbers won't be "smooth," they'll often jump or be erratic

I'm willing to bet you are only getting about 6-8 lbs of boost, which is what you should be getting with a 2.8". No slip, a 2.6" should get you in the neighborhood of, say, 8-10 lbs.

EDIT--I missed that you have headers, so the boost numbers above might not be very accurate. I believe your boost will go DOWN in this situation, due to better breathing. This should NOT screw up your rwhp/rwtq though...

This is EXACTLY why I went to the 8" crankshaft pulley by the way...belt slip was torching my numbers. HOWEVER, even when I was getting "bad" numbers due to belt-slip, they still weren't as low as you are getting (and I get to use really sh*tty CA gas, which is another drawback...). It could be something on top of belt slip, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet you're getting belt slip.

EDIT--Another thing just popped into my mind and I know this is silly, BUT it happened to me---TWICE...Did the dyno operator have any dyno "brake" system on when reading your car? For instance, was an air compressor turned on while your car was on the dyno? It might activate some dyno restrictions/brakes that can significantly impact your results.
You have some very detailed answers and I like that. I do have to mention I have a 2.8 pulley not the 2.6 I must have put a 6 instead of 8 my mistake. Now that you mention that, about the dyno brake. When he was pulling the car on the dyno he had trouble getting it to stop, so he said plug that in. It was an air compressor line to the dyno brake. That might be the reason.We did have a boost gauge on the car and it wash pushing right around 6-6.5lbs.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
The answer to your questions is probably the same one to the question of why Randy gets 472 rwhp on a mustang and I get 434 rwhp or whatever on a dynojet.

ANSWER = :mystery:

Were there any other cars on that dyno the dame day that would give a good comparison?

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
how is it that bolt-on Kenne Belles on Cobras are doing 500+++++ RWHP easily, yet us V1 owners are very satisfied when a $5000 supercharger gets us from 340 to 410rwhp (no other mods)

better supercharger?
'03/'04 Cobras:

1. Bigger blower
2. More boost
3. STOCK forged internals

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The answer to your questions is probably the same one to the question of why Randy gets 472 rwhp on a mustang and I get 434 rwhp or whatever on a dynojet.

ANSWER = :mystery:

Were there any other cars on that dyno the dame day that would give a good comparison?
I know that every motor is different, but with my mods I am very low compared to all the other cars I have seen with the same mods. It really makes a guy sad and wonder.:helpless:

No I was the first one on the dyno. Only other car there was a 2007 Z06 making 580rwhp.

·
Registered
BANK OWNED!! CTSV & EXT
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts