2004 V
Mods
Maggie (standard pulleys)
Kooks headers
Corsa Exhaust
LPE intake
Z06 flywheel/clutch

Dyno Jet 248

The baseline run on the Dyno sheet is NOT the map that I had been running in the car. I believe I was running the standard Maggie map. My tuner did not like the map and I had several issues with codes that he wanted to solve before running on the Dyno. (Air intake temp senor was dirty, vacuum leak, dirty o2 sensors) So he put a map in the car that would help trouble shoot some of the problems. The orignal map was very rich, esp on idle and my tuner said it was not "smooth" but rather like a saw tooth, up and down.

When he was tuning he commented on issues with pulling timing - something he had not seen on Corvettes. He changed some code to stop this from happening. (It was over 2 weeks ago and I was at the end of a 110 hour week - working and getting the race car ready - so my memory is foggy)

The car is running much better, smoother at idle, no codes. Fuel Economy since the tune is worse, which surprises me. Will give it some time.

The car is slower. The ass dyno thought that initially and a few laps at Race City confirmed that. Last Sept I was able to get up to 215kmh at the end of the straitaway (with four people in the car). After the tune I was only able to get up to 200kmh (also 4 people - similar wieght and similar weather conditions).

My tuner also mentioned not running oiled filters as the air intake temp sensor is so close to the filter and it get coated in oil. He recommmended changed to a high capasity paper filter - I need to get the part number from him.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
Well your tuner doesn't have much experience with maggies. Your IAT sensor is no longer in the MAF right after the filter, it is in the rear of the supercharger manifold itself.

And your boost looks really low, where are you located?

Your hp & tq numbers are pretty close to mine though. And your curves look good on the final run.

EDIT: I just looks at the A/F - it looks too lean, but may be OK with your boost level.

·
Registered
Cadillac
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He does not have much experience on Maggies, but I may have misunderstood him about the seonsor

What is the sensor in this pic on the intake tube?

I am in Calgary, AB

Attachments

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
That is the MAF sensor connected to your hot air intake. :lol:

He was probably referring to that because the two tan wires that used to connect the IAT in the MAF are clearly cut in the picture.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
What's your elevation? Your boost looks like it drops off. It should build boost up to redline.
You really need to get a shroud on the air filter. Your just sucking in engine heat.
Are you sure its the same weather conditions as last Sept? Maggies are very sensitive with heat.
A/F for boosted motors in usually around 11.8-1.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
Yeah, I agree with 510 and Tony. Improve the shrouding of the air filter to better pull in cool air and richen it up a bit. Can't tell about timing. Also, do you have a 3.0" pulley? That'd explain the lower boost numbers. A 2.8" would give a bit more.

·
Registered
Cadillac
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a picture of my old filter set up. I now have a LPE with shroud and new filter.

Both days at the track were cool - Sept 08 was sunny ~14C and June 09 was cloudy ~12Cy. Car was not heat soaked either time as I did very few laps and it was consistent speed at the brake marker.

Alt is ~3000ft

Boost wise, I expected a little more.

·
Registered
Maggie'd 05 CTS-V
279 Posts
Hey man, wondering if you could tell me, did Reg do the tuning himself or call in someone else who normally does Corvettes? If so was the guy's name Bill Fischer? Got flagged down on the road the other day by a vette owner who noticed my black puffing exhaust and told me about a maggie'd black V he worked on at RCTS, just curious if its the same guy?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
358 Posts
I've got an '04 with a maggie (old style) with a 2.8 smaller pulley, kooks 1 7/8 headers, gutted factory exhaust, CIA, LS7 Clutch and flywheel, 60lb injectors, and RPM level IV transmission. I put down 452 whp and 432 wtq on a mustang dyno last week. I'm still making over 7lbs boost. On a dynojet, I'd probably be making around 490whp.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I put down 452 whp and 432 wtq on a mustang dyno last week. I'm still making over 7lbs boost. On a dynojet, I'd probably be making around 490whp.
I said/thought the same thing after I put down 439/422 on a mustang.

I went to a dynojet and put down 434/412.

·
Registered
Cadillac
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So overall consensus is that my numbers are inline - given different dynos

What is perplexing me is my straitline speed. Weather was similar and I was 10mph slower.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
It's too bad you don't have a baseline dyno graph with your last tune that was 10 mph faster.

·
Registered
05 V - Procharged / N20 - yea, why not.
410 Posts
That is a picture of my old filter set up. I now have a LPE with shroud and new filter.

Both days at the track were cool - Sept 08 was sunny ~14C and June 09 was cloudy ~12Cy. Car was not heat soaked either time as I did very few laps and it was consistent speed at the brake marker.

Alt is ~3000ft

Boost wise, I expected a little more.

Calgary is much higher than 3000ft... elevation here ranges from 1010m - 1098 - YYC is 1083m (3550ft)

Whos dyno where you on?
Why dont you take it to Davenport - they do TONS of Maggied LS cars. - (thats all they do really)

·
Registered
cts v
18 Posts
Just wondering if you got it sorted out and if you made more power. I'm in calgary as well and just got an 05V with a maggie, kooks, corsa so i'm pretty close to the same set up but i only got 410. My tune is pretty conservative. Any words of wisdom for me regarding where to go for the tune or on any of the other suggestions guys had.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
From what i saw on the dyno sheet i noticed a little issue...The AFR is too lean for a Maggie 12.77...You should be somewhere between 12.0-12.5...NA i am runnin 12.5, belive it or not these LS engines love fuel...Add in a little bit of PE and see how she cruises around town...Cruising you aught to be 14.0-14.5MAX and under heavy acceleration you aught to be close to 12.0-12.5....

Believe it or not but it makes a diff....

Let me know what happens...Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just wondering if you got it sorted out and if you made more power. I'm in calgary as well and just got an 05V with a maggie, kooks, corsa so i'm pretty close to the same set up but i only got 410. My tune is pretty conservative. Any words of wisdom for me regarding where to go for the tune or on any of the other suggestions guys had.
Where did you take it for a tune originally?

·
Registered
410 Posts
From what i saw on the dyno sheet i noticed a little issue...The AFR is too lean for a Maggie 12.77...You should be somewhere between 12.0-12.5...NA i am runnin 12.5, belive it or not these LS engines love fuel...Add in a little bit of PE and see how she cruises around town...Cruising you aught to be 14.0-14.5MAX and under heavy acceleration you aught to be close to 12.0-12.5....

Believe it or not but it makes a diff....

Let me know what happens...Enjoy the ride
It is possible and need to remember, if its an 'up the exhaust' afr reading on the dyno, that its a good 50 points off if CATS are still on the car. My AEM wideband before the cat shows 12.88 while the up the pipe dynojet meter showed 13.3-13.4 after the Kitty Cats

also, you want to have stoich for cruising. (14.68 for non ethanol added gas, approx 14.1-14.2 for E10)and 12.5 as you said is a good number for Power Enrichment with max spark. Every car is slightly different though, due to different mods and such

Having close to lambda of 1.00 (stoich) for cruising makes a very noticeable change. Throttle is much more snappier and instant, it just wants to go! and your fuel economy gets better, and that is how its supposed to run. I painfully tuned to run pure MAF via constant velocity to get 1.00 at every MAF cell.
Doing more mods before retuning VE and going back to dynamic operation (MAF/VE blend) via constant dyno velocity (takes a lot of time on the dyno).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts