Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dynamat the trunk of their coupe? For the rear deck lid, did you install on the topside or underside? If underside, will the mat stay on or eventually falls off?

·
Registered
2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi
212 Posts
Hey there.. Ill chime in on this one as I did the entire car except the roof thusfar.. Both front doors ( double layered outer skin and single layer to seal the door up for Mid-bass), floor under the back seat as well as the trunk...
When you do the trunk be aware it is double skinned, you cannot dampen the outer skin because it is not accessible from inside. Youll have to go underneath the car and get there from behind the bumper. When you do the inner skin it does seal up sonically pretty nicely. You'll want to unbolt the bose amp on the left and the bcm ( black plastic box over the right wheel well. I do not recommend removing the fuse box ( for obvious reasons). Also avoid the main ground point for the battery which is between the battery and the tail light on the floor. As far as the rear deck it is easy to do from underneath. If you are using the extreme it sticks well and will not fall off. You can do it in several pieces and it does its job..
For the top side, its a bit more involved as you will need to disconnect the harnesses for the speakers, sub, navi components, and there are several other harnesses that run across it. Its a mild pain to do but its do-able. There are approximately 7-9 screws/ bolts that hold down the 2 sections once you get those up you can lay several pieces strategically that will eliminate the rattle of the deck but with high amounts of sub-bass the plastic panel may rattle a bit so you may want to apply some on the panel as well.... I suggest if you plan to do the whole trunk you need to look into a full bulk pack of about 36 sq ft you may need a little more depending on coverage and cuts so even 2 packs might be suggestible. Budget a full days work for this one!

Hope this helps!

Jj

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks this does help a lot. One question...does it really take 36 sq ft just for the entire trunk? I ask because the Dynamat Xtreme Trunk Kit comes with 20 sq ft.

·
Registered
2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi
212 Posts
for the entire trunk sides, floor, tire well, under dash, and trunk lid, You will use almost every bit of it.. if the trunk is lets say 3 X 4 thats 12 sq ft by itself, without the sides and the lowering of the wheel pit sides, then the bottom rear dash and then the top.. if theres a couple sheets left over add a second layer or do the doors. Remember you want to look at a Bulk pack of extreme 36 sq Ft... Price it out cause there are other options as well.. Hush Mat ( Many OE Manufacturers us this) Ballistic mat from Metra ( what I use) Dynamat and the list goes on.. I suggest one of those 3 though. best quality and bang for the buck! also make sure to check the thickness different mil ratings as well the higher the # the thicker the Butyl coating the better the mat is...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts