Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a review on the STS and it contained the information, "The navigation system screen is mounted the top-center of the dashboard and tilts down to load the DVD. When the car's transmission is in Park, the DVD screen can be used to show movies." Is this true? Also, is this feature included in the CTS's Navigation system? And one more question (assuming the first two answers are "yes" of course...), is there any way to override the transmission safety feature to allow dvd movies to be played for the passengers on long road trips?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The trick would be to reprogram the PCM ( Powertrain Control Module) Thats the part that sends a signal to the radio to turn off certain functions when it senses speed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe u need to have the parking brake on to watch movies. Then try it while driving, slightly pull down the ebrake till the dash light goes on, if your DVD goes on, just hook a switch up to the brake cable switch, if not, its all read thru the gm class II data bus, and as far as i know, it cannot modified, because it would affect too many things,
Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
CTS DVD Navigation problem

I have a CTS with the DVD Nav system, and I'm having a problem with it - when I input or select a destination and hit the CALC button, the unit kind of freezes up - it shows the vehicle icon moving on the map, but it does not highlight any route or offer any verbal instructions or turn warnings. Also, it won't respond to any further navigation commands. I can switch to radio, CD, audio menus, but nothing happens when I hit NAV or go to the main menu and select Navigation. The only way to reset it is to eject the DVD and start over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was wondering if it is possible to order the factory navigation system for the CTS and have it installed on a model that didn't have it included beforehand?? And if that isn't possible, does anyone know where I could get my hands on a factory navigation system for a 03'?? *Hoping* :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
When i contacted GM about getting a nav put into my car, it was a very funny situation. I was told they have the nav for $1800, and it was made by Audiovox. I said NO, i want the factory DVD navigation, after talking with his manager, he said "GM frowns on adding components that did not come with the vehicle, but we have this Audiovox navigation that works great for $1800"!!!! :banghead2 :madtalkin Is this guy nuts, GM rather me put in a POS audiovox, instead of the Cadillac factory Nav? THats just wrong. Even though the 02-03 DVD nav WILL just plug into the 01 sevilles, just need to add an antenna. Its not worth the fighting and aggrivation to get GM to help on this matter :banghead:
Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please Help !!

I have a 2000 STS with factory navigation. In the glove box there are 3 inputs. Red, white & yellow. Are these factory? I called local Caddy dealer theyt said no. I went to local national chain radio store they looked into it deeper and told me it was factory. They attempted to use the system (inputs) with a portable DVD system but nothing? Please help. Eric

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
I have no knowledge about the Audiovox unit and have never placed any confidence in that name. I added the Kenwood navigation system to my Fleetwood and I am really impressed with it. It has every feature you could ask for on it.

The biggest advantages I found on this sytem is that it works through a touch screen. This means that there is no clumsy remote or buttons. There is a 8" and 7" screen available and they easily accept up to 3 inputs. By grounding the park brake signal, you can watch movies while driving down the road and the voice commands still come from the NAV unit keeping you on track.

The system was no harder to install than an aftermarket stereo, just a few extra wires to hookup and the GPS antenna to mount. I put mine UNDER the 3rd brake light cover and it is completely hidden.

There is a demo of this NAV unit at http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/demo/kna_dv2100_2.html

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
ultravorx said:
When i contacted GM about getting a nav put into my car, it was a very funny situation. I was told they have the nav for $1800, and it was made by Audiovox. I said NO, i want the factory DVD navigation, after talking with his manager, he said "GM frowns on adding components that did not come with the vehicle, but we have this Audiovox navigation that works great for $1800"!!!! :banghead2 :madtalkin Is this guy nuts, GM rather me put in a POS audiovox, instead of the Cadillac factory Nav? THats just wrong. Even though the 02-03 DVD nav WILL just plug into the 01 sevilles, just need to add an antenna. Its not worth the fighting and aggrivation to get GM to help on this matter :banghead:
Frank
so are you saying if i got a 02-03 nav system i could just plug it into my 00 DTS with the old navigation? since they used the old nav from 00-01. I keep askin the GM dealer and they just dont know and never give me an answer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ultravorx said:
Frank
My cousin who gets lost going around the block bought this Audiovox system. I taught her how to use it and she loves it. If they are going to let you have it for $1800 I would say take it. She paid well over 4 grand but then this was something she had to do on her own.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Lux Sport, 2004 Yukon Denali, 2013 XTS Platinum
17 Posts
Re: CTS DVD Navigation problem

smcrae said:
I have a CTS with the DVD Nav system, and I'm having a problem with it - when I input or select a destination and hit the CALC button, the unit kind of freezes up - it shows the vehicle icon moving on the map, but it does not highlight any route or offer any verbal instructions or turn warnings. Also, it won't respond to any further navigation commands. I can switch to radio, CD, audio menus, but nothing happens when I hit NAV or go to the main menu and select Navigation. The only way to reset it is to eject the DVD and start over.
Had this same issue. turns out the disk was dirty. Also the other thing that affects it highlighting routes is the "navi assist" function. you can turn voice guidance on and off as well as guidance in general. many people mistake the voice guidance on/off feature for the navigation guidance feature. you can toggle both independently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Please Help !!

ems7690 said:
I have a 2000 STS with factory navigation. In the glove box there are 3 inputs. Red, white & yellow. Are these factory? I called local Caddy dealer theyt said no. I went to local national chain radio store they looked into it deeper and told me it was factory. They attempted to use the system (inputs) with a portable DVD system but nothing? Please help. Eric
I said YES, but, not from factory DVD slot. You need additional DVD player and modifications in head unit.

Example

http://www.nav-vision.com/nphp/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=8&pos=7

And

http://www.nav-vision.com/nphp/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=8&pos=8

For guys without navigation I strongly recommended visit mp3car.com and try to think about CarPC , included everything what want everybody: dvd,navigation,recorded movie, inet, fi-wi etc. etc. etc.

http://www.nav-vision.com/nphp/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=10

With Regards,

Rudy Z
:welcome:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts