Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Black on Black
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a nav unit in my non nav CTS using the instructions that everyone found and the install went fine. In testing the unit, i found that when inserting a DVD (either movie or nav disc) it "thinks" about it for a second then spits it out.

I have not taken it to cadillac to get reprogrammed because it never said "theftlock activated" or whatnot. When i press the nav button, it says that the Navigation CD-Rom is not inserted. I insert it and it spits it back out.

Also, the wheel on the steering wheel doesnt not control the volume anymore.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
Mr. plow, thats my name, that name again is Mr. Plow. Next Friday! Im pumped!!!

The volume issue you are having is new to me. Did you hook it up the basic way or did you go all out where you can hear the onstar functions?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
It sounds like you bought an ancient CD-ROM based NAV unit and you're trying to use a NAV DVD disc with it. What color is the faceplate of the NAV? The NAV-CD's are very expensive and are also very out of date. Does it say DVD in an upper corner of the faceplate?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los
3,201 Posts
I recently installed a nav unit in my non nav CTS using the instructions that everyone found and the install went fine. In testing the unit, i found that when inserting a DVD (either movie or nav disc) it "thinks" about it for a second then spits it out.

I have not taken it to cadillac to get reprogrammed because it never said "theftlock activated" or whatnot. When i press the nav button, it says that the Navigation CD-Rom is not inserted. I insert it and it spits it back out.

Also, the wheel on the steering wheel doesnt not control the volume anymore.

Any thoughts?
i have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
There is no way the DVD discs will work in a CD-ROM based NAV. The bundle of CD's are a PITA. That's why the CD systems were abandoned and are for sale cheap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It says DVD in the upper left part on the faceplate. The faceplate is dark gray (not sure if that matters) and before I put the radio in, it said the creation date of the unit was january of this year.

Im not too too worried about the volume thing. Its a hinderance but id rather the DVD work. It doesnt even sound like it spins it up.

I didnt go all out. Its just a factory nav unit installed minus the voice stuff. I didnt hook that up. Didnt care too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I also noticed while going through the Cadillac Nav manual for the 15th time that there should be a "DVD" main menu choice that doesnt see to be there on mine?? Any thoughts on that? Could it be that the dvd portion of the radio is bad? I was not meaning to put that in there because that could be an easy out and I dont want to think that a factory refurbed unit was sent back bad but...

I have a "TV" option on the main menu that the book doesnt seem to cover?? Options are Radio, CD, Audio, Navigation and TV under the "Main" button.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
TV is not an option on units made for the U.S. market. This is a unit made for Europe or somewhere else. The DVD video system is probably PAL format as well. All the DVD units I ever heard of were black. CD-Based units are pewter. Is the faceplate the same color as the rest of the dash or is it lighter? I'd say right off hand that you've been H-A-D HAD.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
welp - that would do it wont it! :) I just talked to the guy and told him hed need to replace it pronto which hes doing so..... Im driving around with european trash in my car!!! :)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
The TV tuner is worthless in the U.S. and Canada. It's PAL rather than NTSC format and probably European frquency band and channel spacing as well.
Yes, but maybe you'd be able to hook up another source for video with that? i.e. camera?

X

·
0 Posts
I've driven around with Euro trash in my car and she never spit anything out?:thumbsup:
welp - that would do it wont it! :) I just talked to the guy and told him hed need to replace it pronto which hes doing so..... Im driving around with european trash in my car!!! :)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
:rofl: !!!!

X

·
0 Posts
I don't know what it is about that freakin' car but I can tell you that NOTHING has ever been spit out in my CTS:yawn:...have I told you how much I love my car lately?:bighead:

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
make the wife clean it up

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
yumm!
Urbanski said:
the burn of swallowing dog vomit is comparable to taking a shot of russian vodka minus the big chunks of course
:rofl:
sry urb :lol:

~~~

sorry for the :hijacked:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts