Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a CTS V at a Cadillac dealership about a week ago. When I test drove it, the steering wheel had a little vibration in it and I requested for them to check the balance of the wheels out before I bought it.
Well, the salesman told me that everything checked out ok and that the car was sitting for awhile so the tires could have had a flat spot :bigroll: and sent me on my way. On the way home, the vibration was still there.
Being that the dealership is about an hr away, I didn't feel like driving the car back up there to get the wheel (RE)balanced so I took it to a local tire shop. While there, the technicion called me back to the wheel balancer to show me that the wheel wobbled a little.. I was HOT!:mad:

But my question is, what SHOULD the dealership do about this? Or am I stuck having to buy a new wheel?!?

What do you fellas think?!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Talk to the Salesman and General Manager. Some Dealers (like the one I'm at) would definitely replace the wheel to make a customer happy, but you never know. I'd just explain that you took the Salesman at his word that it was a flat spot, but it turns out it is more than that. I'd also add that you believe they honestly didn't know, but since there is a problem you feel they should replace the wheel as a matter of safety and customer service.

Verbal promises can't be upheld in court, so avoid getting testy and trying to hold their feet to the fire. Worst case scenario: You end up having to buy a wheel from one of the many people here that replace the stock wheels with something else. I'd try the Dealer on for size first, though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are very valid points. I don't feel that I should have to spend money on a wheel that should have been cought. I personally seen the wheel wobble and if I could notice it, then it should have been fixed first.
The thing I guess that makes me mad the most is that the saleman told me the car was checked out and it drove the exact same for the past week..Flat spot my a$$..
But I have contacted them about the problem, but still waiting on a return call.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Why are you even talking with a salesman???? They frequently tell you that they will straighten things out and they will force service to do this or that. Heck, the porters at dealerships have more respect than salesmen. Salesmen are at the low end of the totem pole.

Now, I realize that there are plenty of good salesmen and women. So many of them like to give the impression that they run the dealership. Customers do not understand the pecking order at a dealership.

I also realize that I will likely get flamed, but....

Sales people sell cars.
Service people service cars.
Very clear to me.

Meet your service writer and the service mgr. Respect them and the mechanics. They will reciprocate. If you lack confidence in a particular mechanic, talk with service mgr. He will steer you towards BEST mechanic, particularly if you approach him/her like a professional.

Donuts or burgers help too.

Life is a two way street. Treat your service people right, and you will be happy, except for an occasional idiotic incident or two. That happens to the best of us.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
This is not a flame, as you are largely correct. That being said, it depends on the dealership. I've been with the company longer than any of the Service writers, and I produce a whole lot more money for the company. If I go down to Service and tell them to get something done, they do it.

Most Salesman these days are on the "revolving door" program and will be gone in 90 days. If however, you're dealing with a top producer who's been there a while he has plenty of pull in Service. I have bought a lot of lunches, beers and cigarettes in eight years, so they take care of my customers.

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I spoke w/ the salesman, which was the one who rode w/ me on the test drive. I asked him what he honestly felt the car do at the time of the test drive. He did agree w/ me that the car had a small vibration. He gave me the number to the service manager and I called and spoke with him. He told me that the wheel wouldn't be a warranteed item, but I did tell him I understood that, but for the fact that the car was sold to me as being "checked out and properly balanced." I refered to it being a customer service issue more than a warranty issue.
The service manage told me that when they put new tires on the car, they had everything checked and balanced and he had the measurements (or what ever they used) that he was going to look over. The last coversation I had was that he(the serv mger) was going to talk to the salesman... Haven't heard anything back yet.

Urbanski: I highly doubt that any dealership would take my problem and fix the wheel. Right??

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Urbanski: I highly doubt that any dealership would take my problem and fix the wheel. Right??
beats me, some are friendlier than others. i cant believe they sold you a car with a bent wheel. even if its not warranty, they should make it right out of their own budget. heck, even the salesman admitted they screwed up. what if they scratch your fender next time they change your oil? thats not "warranty" either....

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the salesman didn't offically say, yeah, we screwed up. He just agreed when I asked about it not riding completely smooth. I asked him to relay that message to the service manager. If that got done or not, who knows.?

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,706 Posts
I just picked up a CTS V at a Cadillac dealership about a week ago. When I test drove it, the steering wheel had a little vibration in it and I requested for them to check the balance of the wheels out before I bought it.
Well, the salesman told me that everything checked out ok and that the car was sitting for awhile so the tires could have had a flat spot :bigroll: and sent me on my way. On the way home, the vibration was still there.
Being that the dealership is about an hr away, I didn't feel like driving the car back up there to get the wheel (RE)balanced so I took it to a local tire shop. While there, the technicion called me back to the wheel balancer to show me that the wheel wobbled a little.. I was HOT!:mad:

But my question is, what SHOULD the dealership do about this? Or am I stuck having to buy a new wheel?!?

What do you fellas think?!
Probably be a first with a bent wheel and no suspension damage. I'd out it up on a lift and take look for myself before returning. You may need other stuff repaired/replaced. These speedlines are a very robust wheel usually bending tierods and steel lower(rear) control arms before the upper alum control arm or the wheel.

Norm

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought of the same thing as well, but the car drives perfect w/ no abnormal noises or odd tracking. Straight as an arrow.. Just a little vibration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts