Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Konichi wa,

I have rust coming out from under the mid-door moldings on my '94 White Concourse 4 door. I'm thinking: Pull moldings, sand, prime and paint. Did I miss something? Any better or additional ideas?

I also want to put a fake convertible padded top on the car. We have a place called 'Boyz Toyz' over here that does that sort of thing. Any ideas on that project? Car is white, blue interior.....Like to put on dark blue top. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Sayonara,
Bakatari/Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
If I am not mistaken, that molding has clips.. so you will need to fill them in. A professional body shop can take the task on and you might be able to go with the 'shaved' look. That would be one of a kind on that body style. A blue padded canvas top will look great, just make sure you protect the paint on the roof before installation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leloz said:
If I am not mistaken, that molding has clips.. so you will need to fill them in. A professional body shop can take the task on and you might be able to go with the 'shaved' look. That would be one of a kind on that body style. A blue padded canvas top will look great, just make sure you protect the paint on the roof before installation.
Leloz,

Thnks for the reply.

Thinking of putting the molding back on after rust cleanup and repaint. Best way of protecting the roof paint?

This would help me on my '84 Seville. I'm going to put a padded roof on that one too, after I put the new engine in it. Looking for a trunk lid with the tire on it too.

Does anyone know how to repair a slit in the blue leather on the back seat of the '94 Concourse.....about 1/4 inch long?

Sayonaro,
Bakatari/Bill
 

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Joined
·
78 Posts
Bakatari said:
Konichi wa,

I have rust coming out from under the mid-door moldings on my '94 White Concourse 4 door. I'm thinking: Pull moldings, sand, prime and paint. Did I miss something? Any better or additional ideas?

I also want to put a fake convertible padded top on the car. We have a place called 'Boyz Toyz' over here that does that sort of thing. Any ideas on that project? Car is white, blue interior.....Like to put on dark blue top. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Sayonara,
Bakatari/Bill
I have a '94 Sedan Deville with navy blue leather over white and a navy blue convertible padded top. The top was a dealer option and has been on the car since purchase in 1994. I think the top adds a nice formality to the roof line. The top however has vinyl stitched trim around the edges to keep if from fraying and the stitching has come undone around the lower back window. I am trying to find a place to fix it, but the one place I went to said that it is stitched from the inside out and therefore is unfixable. They said the only fix would be a new roof, which runs around $1,500. Also, the roof treatment covers up the high-mounted brake light. In addition, the roof has the Cadillac emblem sewn in, which has since faded, so I would suggest getting plastic or metal emblem for longevity. The reason I'm telling you this is that by adding the top, you will be adding possible maintenance and you should shop around and ask questions about installation, maintenance and repair, so you can avoid future expenses. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
geigs said:
I have a '94 Sedan Deville with navy blue leather over white and a navy blue convertible padded top. The top was a dealer option and has been on the car since purchase in 1994. I think the top adds a nice formality to the roof line. The top however has vinyl stitched trim around the edges to keep if from fraying and the stitching has come undone around the lower back window. I am trying to find a place to fix it, but the one place I went to said that it is stitched from the inside out and therefore is unfixable. They said the only fix would be a new roof, which runs around $1,500. Also, the roof treatment covers up the high-mounted brake light. In addition, the roof has the Cadillac emblem sewn in, which has since faded, so I would suggest getting plastic or metal emblem for longevity. The reason I'm telling you this is that by adding the top, you will be adding possible maintenance and you should shop around and ask questions about installation, maintenance and repair, so you can avoid future expenses. Good luck!

Thanks for your help.....Will keep that in mind when checking out padded tops.....My car sounds the same as your's except for the top which I will remedy ASAP.....I have a 91 Lincoln with the same colors and I like it very much.

I am putting a padded top om 84 Seville.....Fawn outside and dark brownish/maroon inside...The top will match the leather inside....Looking for a trunk lid with the tire on it to complete the Roadster look.

Thanks again,
Bakatari
 

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Joined
·
78 Posts
Bakatari said:
Thanks for your help.....Will keep that in mind when checking out padded tops.....My car sounds the same as your's except for the top which I will remedy ASAP.....I have a 91 Lincoln with the same colors and I like it very much.

I am putting a padded top om 84 Seville.....Fawn outside and dark brownish/maroon inside...The top will match the leather inside....Looking for a trunk lid with the tire on it to complete the Roadster look.

Thanks again,
Bakatari
No problem. Attached are some pictures of what I was talking about.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geigs said:
No problem. Attached are some pictures of what I was talking about.
Hi geigs,

Could you send me a picture of the back window showing how the padding blocks the high tail light? I'm sg\howing the pictures to Boyz Toyz people or to whomever does the work on my '94.

Thanks,

Bakatari.
 

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Joined
·
78 Posts
Bakatari said:
Hi geigs,

Could you send me a picture of the back window showing how the padding blocks the high tail light? I'm sg\howing the pictures to Boyz Toyz people or to whomever does the work on my '94.

Thanks,

Bakatari.
Will do. Just give me a few days to snap another picture. Also, just got an estimate for replacement. Appears that the cause of the seams coming apart is due to dry rot. This car spent winters in Fl., but I was told that humidity can do a number as well (summers in MD.) I was quoted $795 for cloth, $695 for vinyl, both with a three year warranty on material and labor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
geigs said:
Will do. Just give me a few days to snap another picture. Also, just got an estimate for replacement. Appears that the cause of the seams coming apart is due to dry rot. This car spent winters in Fl., but I was told that humidity can do a number as well (summers in MD.) I was quoted $795 for cloth, $695 for vinyl, both with a three year warranty on material and labor.
Thanks!

Was the quote on the top from a Caddy agency or another Vender?

Bakatari
 

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Joined
·
78 Posts
Bakatari said:
Thanks!

Was the quote on the top from a Caddy agency or another Vender?

Bakatari
It was from a local shop in the DC metro area, but they do handle dealership installs. I got another quote about a week ago from another local shop and it was about $1,500, so it pays to shop around.
 

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Joined
·
78 Posts
Bakatari said:
Hi geigs,

Could you send me a picture of the back window showing how the padding blocks the high tail light? I'm sg\howing the pictures to Boyz Toyz people or to whomever does the work on my '94.

Thanks,

Bakatari.
These pics are the best I can do. There is some sort of black tint right above the light (that looks like the light in the picture, but is not), so if you can make that out you will be able to see how they covered the light.
 

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top