Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1984 Sedan DeVille is a sweet ride. About once every two mos I have someone knock on the door asking if I want to sell it. Maybe now I do. Lemme explain:

1. The Service Soon light makes it's appearance at 55-57 mph. As soon as I accelerate above that, it goes out. This is a minor annoyance and something I can live with for such nice car.

Wet weather problems

2. When it rains, there is a drain on the battery and I have to get a jump, even if the car is sitting in the driveway. She's dead Jim...

3. Today my wife took off before the rain started and while she was out, it began to rain. She said that the Service Now light came on and would remain lit until she did something that changed the load on the electrical system, ie: turned off the cruise control or the radio or the hvac. Additionally she said that it appeared as though the vehicular was losing power.

She'll be coming down the mountain...

Went whitewater rafting in WV this weekend. Lots of fun though Friday night it rained, and when we got back to basecamp Saturday, I needed a jump. So we're driving down scenic I-77 between Beckley and Bluefield. I have the cruise control set for the speed limit. I want to enjoy this drive and not worry about keeping up with the pack when...

4. After a long downslope hill (5% grade 2 miles) the cruise control shuts off, the Service Soon light goes off (remember, I'm driving 55 mph at this time) and the Service Now light comes on. After applying load to the engine and going back up a hill, the Service Now light goes off and I can re-engage the cruise. How annoying yet once again.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone? anyone?

BTW, it rained again for the past three days. The old girl hasn't been quite reliable, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,735 Posts
re: rain drain

regarding the wife shutting off the electrical loads, humor me by checking the belt tension of the alternator. i presume this a 4100 engine? if the alternator pulley can be rotated by hand against normal engine rotation, then the smog pump belt is too loose, allowing the alternator belt to slip in wet weather. this, over time will discharge the battery. if you notice the alternator belt wraps around the water pump pulley only. if you can rotate the alternator pulley by hand you will verify the smog pump belt slipping on the same pulley! tighten and/or replace the smog pump belt. then verify tension of the alternator belt. charge the battery slowly overnight, then have a shop test the alternator amp output. advise back. the cruise control shutting off is a normal reaction of the computer when it reads alternator voltage out of range, a code 16 i believe. hopes this helps, Bill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carnut: Spot On!

The smog pulley was loose. I found that in addition to not getting air to the converter, it also powers the waterpump and alternator. My alternator wasn't putting out any go juice. Many thanks for your very good guestimate. Tom and Ray ain't got nuttin' on you guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts