Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started having problems shifting my gear shift out of park. After reading the owner's manual I realized that I have a gear shift release. So I've been using it in order to shift out of park. Have any of you had this problem? I have a floor shifter.

I have a call in to my servic rep to take it in for service; is this a major problem. It's still under warranty.

Peace,
DTS2000GJ

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
i have no idea what ure talkin about. I have a 2000 DTS and i jsut press the brake down and shift...i kno there is a shift lock but that is underneat the black rubber thing which is located below the ashtray.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For some reason it won't shift out of Park when I just press on the brake and try to move the shifter. In order to move the shifter, I had to use the 'gear release under the ash tray' with my foot on the brake... then I was able to move the shifter!?!

.... yes, I'm also confused by this??! That's why I wanted to know if anyone else had ever had this problem...

Thanks again,
DTS2000GJ

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them look at it...ive never heard of anyone with that year DTS have that problem.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Maybe you're just a victim of 'torque-lock'.

Torque-lock is when you park on an incline (wheather it be a hill or a driveway) and the weight of the vehicle prevents it from not shifting out of park.

The best way to remedy this is to get in the habit of setting the parking brake then putting the vehicle into park. Try it - when you've stopped, apply the parking brake, then shift it into park. See what happens...

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
I think that works off of your brakelight switch. Check too see if you have brake lights maybe it'd just a bad switch

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You can also try putting the car in neutral first, then start it so you bypass the park lock solenoid until you can make it to the dealer for repairs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Deville DTS will not shift out of park

Within the last month, my pre-owned 2000 DTS got increasing difficult to shift out of park, and then stayed stuck in park. As the car was under warranty,they had to tow the car to the dealership where they replaced the entire gear shift mechanism. I asked if this was a common occurance and their response was that it is infrequent but that they had seen it before. My suggestion if the car is still under warranty is to take it there quick before the shift lever locks up completely.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
There is something wrong with the shift lock release....

I dont think you have torque lock.......

The cruise control switches and shift lock swtiches all work off of a single switch attaced to the top of the brake pedal....... Make sure your cruise works fine also, IE it sets fine and it disengages when you hit the brake......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: SHIFTER JAM DUE TO OPEN SHIFT SOLENOID

Greetings,
Sorry for the slow response; busy on this end. I took my car to the shop for repairs. An open shift solenoid was the cause of my gear shifter jamming. It was replaced under warranty. I also had them check my driver side seat heater; it was slow to warm. They found that all the resistance values were too high so all 3 heater elements were replaced. I also had a slight knocking on cold start. They thought it was due to carbon buildup on the valves so they did a top engine clean (under warranty) which eliminated the knocking and now the engine literally humms...perfect. They had to keep my car (2000 DTS/Bronzemist/Wood Package, Heated/Massage Seats) for 2 days and they gave me a 2004 DLS as a loaner. I realized, once more, how much I really enjoy my car... I couldn't wait to return the loaner!!

Peace,
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Deville DTS will not shift out of park

BCARLSON111,
I'm the guy who started this thread. I've responded on my findings but wanted to touch bases with you. Tell me, did you attempt to use the shift release feature, under your ash tray, prior to having it towed or taking it for repairs. I did this until I could make it to the shop.

Then, as noted in my latest post, my car was found to have an open shift solenoid. This was replaced and everything seems to be working fine.

Peace,
Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts