Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning - Your wheel questions have been merged here from a couple of incorrect forums or dead threads. Maybe you'll get better coverage in your DTS forum. Welcome Aboard !!! Sub.

Welcome to the forums! Don't know if the OP will see your question as he hasn't logged on in a year or so.
Thanks I was hoping it would send an email or something by chance. Maybe I would get lucky or someone else that new by chance. Thank you for reaching out & I appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
13,889 Posts
Any chance you know or suggest what size Dayton’s and vogues I could go up to on a Cadillac DTS 2009?
If you post your question in the DTS subforum, you'll have more luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know or suggest what size Dayton’s and vogues or aftermarket wheels I could go up to on a Cadillac DTS 2009? The largest the wheel and tire will go with no rubbing or any clearance problems. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,376 Posts
Anyone know or suggest what size Dayton’s and vogues or aftermarket wheels I could go up to on a Cadillac DTS 2009? The largest the wheel and tire will go with no rubbing or any clearance problems. Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the forums! You've asked the question in the correct forum pages so someone will come along to give you suggestions.

·
Registered
2011 dts premium
296 Posts
You will lose your cushy ride if you go bigger than 18". Reason being most 19,20,22 inch rims only look good with low- profile tires. And low- profile tires give you about an 1 1/2 inches of rubber between rim and the road. So you will feel every bump. I seen DTSs with 22, looks good though .

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will lose your cushy ride if you go bigger than 18". Reason being most 19,20,22 inch rims only look good with low- profile tires. And low- profile tires give you about an 1 1/2 inches of rubber between rim and the road. So you will feel every bump. I seen DTSs with 22, looks good though .

Yeah I’m aware of the ride quality loss. It’s a DTS Platinum edition so I’ve had the 18” vogue tires on the factory 18” wheels. I wanted to see what the vogue low profile tire size and wheel size that I would need to be able to put 20” wheels that don’t rub and have wheel clearance with no problem I’d entertain the 22” wheels and vogues if there was no lifting or anything that needed to be done but I was pretty sure that the 22” wheels and low profile vogue tires in 22” rub and don’t clear well. If anyone is running either size would like to know what set of wheel size and vogue tires you’d be using. Thanks again too Bee1!

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,019 Posts
Don't forget that all 4 wheels are monitored for wheel speed - part of the ABS and Stability systems - so you must stay very close to the original tire outside diameter - the original tire size and speed rating is on the driver's door sticker - you get the outside diameter from the specs in www.tirerack.com.

Smaller OD than original - speedo reads fast
Larger OD than original - speedo reads slow
.... and if the differences are too great you get speed limited warnings and trouble codes/messages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just installed vogues 245/40/20 no issues with the speedo and the ride did not change. It's the same circumference of the 55 series on a 17 that I had.
Bro that’s exactly the help I was looking for and you didn’t have to do no modifications or anything to the fender wells or lining? Also what size wheel did you have to go on the width 20 x ? I want to make sure it’s the right size wheels too

·
Registered
1968 Deville convertible
122 Posts
Nothing to the lining all plug and play. Here are the specs
20x8.5
5x114.3
73.1mm hub
35mm offset which sits almost flush with the fender. If I pushed them out a mm or 2 then they would be flush but I think they are perfect

I spoke to several manufacturers because our cars take a 5x115 this wheel is a 114.3 so .7mm smaller than the 115 which is about the width or smaller of a hair. They all said they run 114.3 all the time and never had an issue and will warranty them if there is an issue. When I say I spoke to several I mean I talked to about 14 or 15 and they all said it's fine and never had an issue. Even the stock wheels aren't a true tolerance 115. So don't let anyone tell you differently. BUT as I always tell people to do your research before you make a decision and do not base it on what one or 2 things that you read. It took me months to finally feel comfortable going with that size on the wheels and tires

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing to the lining all plug and play. Here are the specs
20x8.5
5x114.3
73.1mm hub
35mm offset which sits almost flush with the fender. If I pushed them out a mm or 2 then they would be flush but I think they are perfect

I spoke to several manufacturers because our cars take a 5x115 this wheel is a 114.3 so .7mm smaller than the 115 which is about the width or smaller of a hair. They all said they run 114.3 all the time and never had an issue and will warranty them if there is an issue. When I say I spoke to several I mean I talked to about 14 or 15 and they all said it's fine and never had an issue. Even the stock wheels aren't a true tolerance 115. So don't let anyone tell you differently. BUT as I always tell people to do your research before you make a decision and do not base it on what one or 2 things that you read. It took me months to finally feel comfortable going with that size on the wheels and tires
Your labors won’t be for nothing my friend. I respect and appreciate the research you did. Thanks again for all your help. I love these cars and I they just don’t make them like these no more.

·
Registered
2011 dts premium
296 Posts
I just installed vogues 245/40/20 no issues with the speedo and the ride did not change. It's the same circumference of the 55 series on a 17 that I had.
How can a 245/40/20 be the same size as a 235/55/17?
First number, 245 or 235 is the width of the tire.
Second number, 40 or 55 is the aspect ratio refers to the height of the sidewall, and it is the percentage of the width.
Third number is rim size.
So your tire sidewall height is 40% of 245. My stock tire sidewall is 55% of 235. Is that the same size. Just look at the picture, the yellow strip on the Vogue tire is almost touching the ground. You will not have the same cushy ride with low profile tires.

·
Registered
1968 Deville convertible
122 Posts
I'm talking height-wise vs the old one with a 55 for clearance issues. It feels better with the 40 series vs the 55 but the old ones were bad. What I think is fine may be harsh to you and vice verse. I also think 600 hp is JUST starting to feel fast so I'm weird like that I guess.

·
Registered
2011 dts premium
296 Posts
I'm talking height-wise vs the old one with a 55 for clearance issues. It feels better with the 40 series vs the 55 but the old ones were bad. What I think is fine may be harsh to you and vice verse. I also think 600 hp is JUST starting to feel fast so I'm weird like that I guess.
Look at the treads for the XTS and CT6 which comes stock with 19" or 20" tires. Look at all the complaints about rough ride. Never had those problems on 17" or 18".

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,770 Posts
The look is worth the little harsher ride. I put vogues on my stock 18s so no change in ride or performance. My DTS is the performance so some will find the ride to harsh but I think its just right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aw man everyone though knows that vogues just ride ruff as it is no matter what size you got. There’s just no tire that looks better. Hands done best looking tire ever. But the main concern that Chicago1 answered was that I can get my 20” wheels with still a vogue look and no rubbing and good clearance. The measurements he gave me was a pretty solid on tire and wheel being pretty equivalent and close as I’m going to get with what’s comparable to when I had the factory with the vogues. And it will still give a similar ride now with the 20’s and the vogues. Regardless I appreciate the research he did and it’s working on his vehicle tight now which definitely helps me verify that it’s going to do what it looking for. ✌

·
Registered
1968 Deville convertible
122 Posts
Also, how is the rest of your suspension? I just installed new control arms, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar bushings the day before I put the new wheels and tires. My car has about 96k on it I paid 120 shipped for the whole front suspension. I figured with new wheels and tires for the car I might as well do the suspension and it's really easy to swap just know you will need an alignment after. Vogues aren't cheap but I did get them price matched for 296 each. Discount Tire price matched the Vogues from Walmart and they did the same with the wheels by price matching Carid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, how is the rest of your suspension? I just installed new control arms, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar bushings the day before I put the new wheels and tires. My car has about 96k on it I paid 120 shipped for the whole front suspension. I figured with new wheels and tires for the car I might as well do the suspension and it's really easy to swap just know you will need an alignment after. Vogues aren't cheap but I did get them price matched for 296 each. Discount Tire price matched the Vogues from Walmart and they did the same with the wheels by price matching Carid.
It’s a 2009 Dts platinum with 65,000 miles on it. I know this model was a performance DTS before they did the platinum edition to it. Don’t know if that makes a difference on suspension. But where you saying you paid $120 shipped for the front suspension parts? I wouldn’t mind switching out the parts if that’s all it is, sounds cheap I think I might be misunderstanding

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.