Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im just wondering why the sts (v-8 premuim luxury) costs more than the full optoined dts? thx

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
The STS is a fully redesigned world class car, while the DTS is the previous generation DeVille with a new skin and interior.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Hey there leigh, nice to see you round these parts every so often!

Yes, the DTS is Cadillac's traditional American luxury car, while the STS (currently) serves as Cadillac's technology flagship.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
gothicaleigh said:
The STS is a fully redesigned world class car, while the DTS is the previous generation DeVille with a new skin and interior.
Exactly. The STS is based on a world-class, RWD platform with V6/V8 power and available AWD, and can hang with the best of them from Europe and Asia. The DTS, on the other hand, is basically a revised version of the Deville, both of which are on a platform that dates back over 10 years and, though revised, is still old. It's meant to be more of the "classic" Caddy with a softer ride and, well, the FWD, and is also commonly a rental or fleet car. Nice, but no STS.

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
You are all correct. Being an 'old guy', I liked the DTS best during recent test drives. My ol' Seville is coming up on needing New Michies, Exhaust system , and 150K miles, but then it might last longer than me...:yup:

·
Registered
634 Posts
gothicaleigh said:
Wow, great to see y'a back! On another subject, what's your take on the new Escalades? That, and I'd love to know your opinion of the new Lincoln MKS "Concept" at the Detroit show.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Volume plays a role as well. GM sells more of the DTS, so they can price it lower. Even when the Seville had very little extra content relative to the DeVille, it always cost quite a bit more.

Ironically, now that the STS is truly a different level of car the price difference isn't as large as it used to be. My site (www.truedelta.com) puts the difference between a DTS Performance and STS V8 at about $5,000 after adjusting for features, or about 10 percent.

Go back to 1986, when the downsized Seville was also about $5,000 after adjusting for feature differences, but with prices less than half what they are now the percentage difference was much larger, at least 20 percent.

Bob Lutz for one hasn't been happy with this unusual structure, as there are few other cases where a brand charges more for a smaller car. The Toyota Sequoia vs. Land Cruiser is the only other example I can think of off-hand unless you conside the BMW and Mercedes coupes as analogous.

·
Registered
147 Posts
mkaresh said:
Volume plays a role as well. GM sells more of the DTS, so they can price it lower. Even when the Seville had very little extra content relative to the DeVille, it always cost quite a bit more.

Ironically, now that the STS is truly a different level of car the price difference isn't as large as it used to be. My site (www.truedelta.com) puts the difference between a DTS Performance and STS V8 at about $5,000 after adjusting for features, or about 10 percent.

Go back to 1986, when the downsized Seville was also about $5,000 after adjusting for feature differences, but with prices less than half what they are now the percentage difference was much larger, at least 20 percent.

Bob Lutz for one hasn't been happy with this unusual structure, as there are few other cases where a brand charges more for a smaller car. The Toyota Sequoia vs. Land Cruiser is the only other example I can think of off-hand unless you conside the BMW and Mercedes coupes as analogous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts