Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was loving my 06 DTS Luxury ll that I purchase preowned. The tires were still the stock Continental Touring Whatever's. They had about 5000 good miles left on them, but I wasn't very happy with them.

Was on Ebay and saw an almost-new set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred takeoffs with about 1000 miles of use for $280.00, including shipping...a steal. With shipping, they were over $600.00 on Tirerack.

The tires had great reviews, albeit a bit noisy. They arrived in new condition. Paid the local tire guys $60.00 to mound and balance.

What these tires have done is completely change the driving character of the DTS. The improvement in handling is stunning. The TripleTred has a reinforced sidewall, which greatly improved handling, as well as bumps and potholes. I live in NYC and that's critical.

I am wowed on how these tires handle the rain. I have never, ever, ever had a tire that feels glued to the road in heavy downpours. From reviews I expect to get between 60,000 and 70,000 miles.

And yes, the review on road noise is correct. They have a definite whine to them...quite a bit noisier than most. But it's something that I can live with considering how stable these tires are. Goodyear said that they get quieter as the wear. If that happens, great...if not, no biggie.

All tires have tradeoffs. My needs are a great bump and pothole tire, improved handling, and superior wet performance.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Thank you for the review.

I too have read some good things about those tires.
I wish they made them in the right size to fit my Performance Sedan, but they don't. Darn it. :)

The Bridgestones that I have on my car, are rough and noisy.
Dry traction and handling are real good.
Wet traction is just so-so.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More than most, tires are a compromise.I went on Tirerack for review, and they were pretty much right-on.
I had considered the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, a couple of Michelin's, and the Kumho Platinum. All are probably quite a bit quieter than the Goodyear TripleTred's. But none offered the wet traction that I needed, and only the Kumho was reinforced.
If I owned a non-Performance DTS, the only all-season tire I would buy is a reinforced sidewall. The difference is staggaing.

My decision was made easier because of the $280 plus free shipping on Ebay...and that the tires were barely used. I do wish that the tires were quieter, but the handling and wet weather benefits far outweigh the tire whine.

·
Registered
'00 ETC '07 DTS '76 Eldorado (sold)
42 Posts
I think almost any tire would be an improvement over the Continentals on a DTS. I dumped the Continentals on my '07 with 19,000 miles on them. I went with the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred. They are smooth and quiet. They handle excellent for a DTS. The car actually rides like a Cadillac now. I am considering them for my Eldo.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is Cadillac and Continental thinking, putting those jelly donuts on a $45-$50,000 car? You'd think that Cadillac would want to put the perfect tire on the car, that compliments the virtues of the Cadillac ride and experience.

When I would corner in my DTS with those Continental Jelly Donuts, the car would leans and barely track. With my Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's, I can plow and accelerate into a corner with the same confidence when driving a RWD car.

If I were shopping for new DTS shoes, I would absolutely buy a tire with a reinforced sidewall. The improved handling is shocking. My Goodyear's also are great in the rain...but the tradeoff is tire hum. Not a dealbreaker for me, but certainly not as quiet as a Michelin Energy, Pilot, Bridgestone Serenity, or others.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
My Bridgestone Turanzes are real noisy.
There are not many choices in the 18 inch size.
Sometimes I wish it had 17 inch wheels on it. There are so many choices in 17...not many in 18.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I prefer 17's...from the lower prices and choices. I'm not a big fan of the Bridgestone Turanza's. Crappy tire. The Bridgestone Turanza Serentity is a whole other beast...a very nice tire.

Lexus puts the basic Turanza 42 on the LS460. Amazing. A crappy tire on a $75,000 car.

As stated, I will only buy reinforced sidewalls for my DTS. The improvement in handling and ride cannot properly be described. I will live with the added road hum.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always wondered about the Vogue tires. Do they perform well? How are they noise-wise? How are they in wet weather? How do they handle?

They are pretty spendy...put price should never be a consideration on a tire, and a Cadillac too boot.

I recently spoke with an owner of a 2008 DTS owner, who put 235-65-17's on his car. He said that it improved the ride. I told him that the 65 is too tall, and will greatly effect the handling of the DTS. He told me it didn't, but I'm wary.

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
889 Posts
I'm curious about the Vogues as well. Any comments you can make would be appreciated. They seem to be the only WSW tires available that will fit a DTS. They have a 60K tread guarantee, no? And will they fit on any wheel or do you have to go with a Vogue wheel as well? I really like the standard Performance chrome wheels--glitzy enough but easy to clean. The Vogues are a bit over the top for me....

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
Can`t go wrong with Michelin HydroEdge. There quiet, have excellent traction and have a very good wear rating. I have them on both of my Cadi`s. My Deville Michelin`s have over 75'000 km`s and still has good tread on them. I won`t put any other tire on my cars.
Goodyear has good traction but are too soft and wear way too fast not worth the price.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Just remember that if I have a tire that gets 35000 miles and you have a tire that gets 75000 miles.......I will stop much faster than you will. There are no secrets too high mileage tires. They are made of a hard compound and give up traction in favor of mileage. Probably a good trade off 99% of the time.
It's that 1% that's a bitch.

·
Registered
none
14 Posts
after many sets of vogue tyres all on cadillacs only thing i can complain about is that the gold stripe starts to fades at the 50% tread point vogue will replace if tread is in the firts 25% of wear on cosmedic damage

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
What is Cadillac and Continental thinking, putting those jelly donuts on a $45-$50,000 car? You'd think that Cadillac would want to put the perfect tire on the car, that compliments the virtues of the Cadillac ride and experience.

When I would corner in my DTS with those Continental Jelly Donuts, the car would leans and barely track. With my Goodyear Assurance TripleTred's, I can plow and accelerate into a corner with the same confidence when driving a RWD car.

If I were shopping for new DTS shoes, I would absolutely buy a tire with a reinforced sidewall. The improved handling is shocking. My Goodyear's also are great in the rain...but the tradeoff is tire hum. Not a dealbreaker for me, but certainly not as quiet as a Michelin Energy, Pilot, Bridgestone Serenity, or others.
BMW includes Dunlop Sport 01s on their 5 series. (Not a cheap car.) Those tires are ranked 39 out of 39 on the Tire Rack website.

I just purchased a set of Michelin Sport A/S Pluses. Have not yet driven the vehicle, but they better be good for $1,200 or so--with warranty.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
Stopping and traction are keys to the Hydroedge, their tires are made differently than Goodyears. Michelin uses a silica compound for traction that is why they don't have to have soft tires that wear out quickly. You can't beat the ride, handling and price of these tires that's why they were rated 5 stars.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Stopping and traction are keys to the Hydroedge, their tires are made differently than Goodyears. Michelin uses a silica compound for traction that is why they don't have to have soft tires that wear out quickly. You can't beat the ride, handling and price of these tires that's why they were rated 5 stars.

I had a set of Michelin HydroEdge on a 2002.
They were great tires.
Fairly sticky and with very good wear characteristics.

I wish they made them to fit my current car.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Well, you guys have me interested. They obviously ARE a quality tire. Tire Rack has an interesting test of them vs the GY Comfort Tread, GY Triple Tread, and the Mich Harmony.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=74
The Harmony better be cheap, because it can;t run with the big dogs......and it is not avail for the DTS
But the Hydro edge does very well.
Of course, NOTHING rides as quiet or as smooth as the comfort tread.
But when it comes to handling, it's a good contest between the hydro edge and the Triple Tread.
Interestingly enuf, the hydro seems to be the best in the wet or dry track but they give the handling nod to the Triple Tread in "real world" conditions.....
The Hydro edge is not avail with the thin white sidewall either.........
But it is a good looking tire.....

I don't know........I will have to look at my priorities , but the Hydro Edge is def in the running now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts