Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'06 DTS, '93 Fleetwood Brougham, '85 Fleetwood Brougham
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I know it's a frustrating thing to have people tell you that some or most of your LED lights are burned out of your trunk-mount LED light. It's also equally frustrating to know that another one os going to cost over $200.00. I want to share with you how I "repaired" mine.

1.) This is what it looked like when I started
2.) I removed it and carefully cut it open with my Dremmel
3.) This is what the LEDS look like:
4.) The new LED string (96cm) is 3 LEDs too long, so...
5.) Cut off the (3) extra LEDs right down the middle. Also, there are (2) wires on each end, but you'll only need one set of them
6.) Using a hot-glue gun, glue the new strip to the lens along the bottom of the lights. Don't use a mini-glue gun, or else it will take you FOREVER
7.) Break off the connector from the OLD LED light board. You want to keep using the factory wiring harness to plug the new lights into...
8.)...and wire the new lights too as well.
9.) I found that the ends were going to make the light assembly stick out too far from the trunk. So I made a new housing out of hot glue...Hot-glue the backing on.
10. And there is the finished product. Cost me $11.00 total including the glue sticks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are the LEDs I bought for this project and next to it are the results. Note that I find these lights are not as bright during the daylight as the OEM, but at night you can't tell the difference. There are 92 (?) LEDs in the new string, and 60 with the OEM set-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I'm sure it will help a lot of people. We need more fixes just like this. Unfortunately mine is cracked right in the middle so i have to replace it. It's crazy how the light is over $200

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac DTS, 1986 and 1970 Fleetwood 75 series Limos
26 Posts
Yes, thanks a bunch! Already replaced mine once (at a dealer no less...so it was more than $200. That's all I will say), and then my dad hit my trunk with his tractor, so now not only is the brand new third brake light cracked, my whole trunk and bumper is disgracefully dented and scuffed :( still wondering when I'm gonna get it all fixed, plan on buying a hood ornament and having them attach that while its at the body shop.

I keep insisting that my father and I do some of the work ourselves, I can accomplish pretty much anything I have clear instructions for, and he's BUILT vehicles from the ground up right here at home.

Already had more than my fair share of mechanical issues with the car, but that's a whole other story. Let's just say I can now be counted among the people that have almost completely lost faith in GM, their service network, and their customer service department. I will always love Cadillacs, I'm just thinking maybe I need to stick to the older ones from now on...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Mike 78 Great write up with pictures

Done 6, basically the same way

Make sure you slow down the dermal tool so you don’t melt the plastic Use a Diamond Rotary Cutting Discs to cut it apart. I use a 90mm led string (no cutting).
Reuse the diffuser over the Leds. It spreads the light more evenly. I used silicone to glue it together. When you put it back on the trunk make you use some silicone on the bolts, or you will have water in the trunk.

The reason most of the lamps crack is the way we close the trunk lid.

If you got a crack lamp, Glue it and rebuild it. What do you have to lose?

LED STRING http://www.ebay.com/itm/151625343198?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=450834420572&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT $7.99 for 2

Diamond Rotary Cutting Discs
http://www.harborfreight.com/diamond-rotary-cutting-discs-5-pc-69657.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! The disc I used did melt the plastic as I was cutting it. And I do regret not using the diffuser. Thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts