Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 DTS Lux II, 2009 Escalade 6.2L.
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make this thread for any new Cadillac DTS owners. These cars are rock solid. (For me) I treat it like a baby but I do occasionally WOT. North Star engines are great motors and will last 200,000+ of taken care of(like any other vehicle). Be on time with your SCHEDULED maintenance familiarize yourself with the owners manual. Run what ever gas you please(I like 93) but it really doesn’t matter. Change change change that oil. Change the tranny fluid at 100k. Serpentine belt and water pump pulleys and water pump. Look every car needs maintenance yes it can cost a lot if you can’t work on cars(im no chip foose). But don’t listen to the hype of the north Star longtime members will tell you to. I love this car. It’s solid, it’s safe for me my wife and my three daughters. Gas mileage for a damn V8 is fantastic. Yea oil leaks can be an issue but to be honest every caddy deville except the Escalade DRIPPED a bit of oil but not enough to lose a quart every 4000 miles. Not even a half quart. Oil pressure sensor notorious fail but easy fix. Change the coolant at 100k. The most common repairs on this car are to ME anyway are mostly annoyances rather than something catastrophic. Anyway overall i would give this car an 8/10 mechanically wise. Solid motor tried and true transmission. Plus all the bells and whistles that some cars are just now coming out with.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
6,265 Posts
testimony once again that maintenance is the key to longevity. My '03 Deville is at 155K miles. Doesn't leak but maybe a drop of oil, between oil changes I add maybe a quart or so. Never has overheated. My DTC's are tpms system (I don't care), TCC solenoid stuck off ( I don't care) . Had some U codes few months ago but only because I installed a new battery. Cleared & ok. PM PM PM. at the moment it needs a new HVAC blower (after 18 years) but that isn't hard to change.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
234 Posts
57k on my 2011 and I couldn't be happier. I know it's hardly even broken in but... for being 10 years old I have to say everything's running as expected. The engine compartment and under the engine is bone dry. I'm a true believer in not only "on time" maintenance, but I'm a little OCD and usually like to take care of things long before they could become a problem.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These cars are aging fast. And there going to the junkyards fast…not mine never!!!!!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol for instance I could have attempted the brakes and rotors myself and saved a fortune however I’m not very comfortable with brakes. So it cost 💲 900 for all four rotors abs brakes all the way around…lol. This is one of those instances when being chip foose is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As for the oil I don’t care if the manual says to do every 30000 miles for it gets done at 4000. 4500 max both the DTS and the Escalade. Mobil full synthetic NEVER oil additives NEVER. However a bottle of Techron (or GM fuel system cleaner) is actually recommended if you don’t use top tier. But I throw a bout 2 bottles in per year.(haven’t had my Dts that long but other Cadillacs I’ve owned)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Omac, so just to be safe I’ve been looking to get another north Star full motor(not for engine failure guys don’t worry, for parts or a rebuild). I’ve been finding them
On eBay some going for 700. Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2007 DTS
78 Posts
I agree with the reliability it's been pretty darn solid some local mechanics are dumb like a fox when it comes to labor repair cost for the Caddy IME.
For us driving the Caddy vs our new Equinox, there is no comparison the caddy is smooth rides nice doesn't drive quite like the Nox but they are totally different vehicles. I recently looked into getting rid of our 2007 at Carmax. That ain't gonna happen...I'll drive the caddy until I can't justify the repairs any longer. With the price and availability of new cars I'm thinking the 07 DTS will be with us for a long time...

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey I had my 91 deville till 2019 174xxx i junked it because I’m a selfish prick and didn’t want no one else to have it. I watched it get crushed (pretty cool though lol).

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
1,365 Posts
Change the coolant at 100k.
Change the the coolant waaaaaay before that… If that’s what it actually says in the owners manual, then that explains why so many Northstars died of head gasket failure. Coolant turns acidic after a while, which in turn eats away at internal engine compartments such as gaskets.

There’s no way anyone could get me to believe Dexcool, or any coolant would last 5yrs. or 100,000 miles.

I personally have my coolant changed every 2yrs.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,562 Posts
Many coolants are long-life - 5 years or so. Nothing wrong with that.

For extensive discussions of the whys and hows of Northstar head bolt hole thread failures read the stickies in Engines; Northstar. It has nothing to do with "eating away" gasket materials. One or more head bolts loses clamping pressure, exhaust gas blows past the fire rings, the softer gasket material deteriorates, exhaust gas overpressures the cooling system, coolant blows out the surge tank overflow, the engine overheats due to loss of coolant. In some advanced cases the engine will have a miss in one or more cylinders, with excessive exhaust steam, for a few hundred revolutions after cold start.

Head gasket anatomy -

Scale Tool Bicycle part Musical instrument Font

2 quarts of DEX-COOL after just over 4 years. Lab tests almost new. My STS. Looked the same yesterday morning - the car is close to 20 years old and is on its fifth coolant exchange - about every 4 years or so. And I frequently run the dog snot out of it - both on twisty roads and airport/farm road straightaways. BUT, in defense of ELDO2K's change intervals my car has less than 70,000 miles on it. :cool:

Liquid Drinkware Fluid Solution Drink

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

Automotive tire Font Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
1,365 Posts
Just curious, did anyone on this forum ever claim to make it to 100,000 miles before needing a tune up on their Northstar powered Cadillac?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,458 Posts
I had 128K on my '03 when I traded it. Something near that on my '97. Never did a "tune up" on either.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
1,365 Posts
I had 128K on my '03 when I traded it. Something near that on my '97. Never did a "tune up" on either.
Oh yea? Well I’ll tell you what, it’s been almost 25yrs. since I bought my 1st car, and 8 Cadillacs later, along with 3 other vehicles that I can remember owning, and at least a couple more if I want to include an ex gf who’s cars I used to take care of.. In all that time I’ve never not once gotten new brakes or changed brake pads on any car I’ve owned.

1 time I took my 91’ Honda Accord to get an oil change and the guy told me “hey you need new brakes”… I drove that Honda as is for the next 3yrs. It stopped just fine. No squeaking or anything. Lol.

·
Registered
2008 DTS
1,414 Posts
Just curious, did anyone on this forum ever claim to make it to 100,000 miles before needing a tune up on their Northstar powered Cadillac?
I have 83K and never did anything to the motor besides tightening the intake bolts and changing the oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I had my 91 deville till 2019 174xxx i junked it because I’m a selfish prick and didn’t want no one else to have it. I watched it get crushed (pretty cool though lol).
I love my 91 Coup DeVille and I drive it till they pry my cold dead finger's off the wheel!

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don’t know if I necessarily HAD to, but whatever car I have I always go by the owners manual never to much over that interval. Then after that I make my own judgments usually a 40-50,000 interval again. Or every 2 years if I’m not driving the car a lot.*

1 - 20 of 54 Posts