Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 DTS is going crazy! The door locks constantly lock and unlock while driving. While this is happening, the sifter indicator on the dash is moving from drive to neutral to reverse, to park which make the engine stall! I replaced the sifter control.....$300! Still the same problem. Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I would take it and have the trouble codes read at the dealer.
The codes will tell you what is wrong with it so you don't just throw parts at it and HOPE it fixes it.

My first guess would be the door module, but it could also be a number of other things causing it.
Have you worked on the radio lately??

Jim

·
Registered
1968 Eldorado
785 Posts
I agree with Jim. With todays electronics, many systems and wiring are multiplexed making it hard to diagnose. Let the dealer scan it for codes.

·
Registered
2009 DTS Premium Platinum
318 Posts
Could be a bad or corroded ground wire. I'd start at the battery itself. Lift off the rear seat and have a look at the posts. Even if they don't look too bad, make sure the connections are firm and secure and wipe off any crud that may have accumulated over time and then spray with some battery post protectant. I still use those old felt rings. They're old school, but I swear they work.

Also, check to make sure a fuse hasn't come loose. Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
I had similar problems. Not as bad as yours. All was corrected by a Software down load at the dealer.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES
212 Posts
I was also thinking this sounds like something that can be fixed with a software flash before trying anything mechanical. Nature of the beast these days.

12,886 Posts
lthomas11002, have you been to dealership yet for your issues? If so could you please update us at to what went on with them (whether there was a fix or not and what was done to the vehicle while it was there). Thank you!

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2006 DTS LuxII
141 Posts
This thread has me thinking,if the heater fails to come on when using the remote start would a software "fix" eliminate this annoyance? The heat works normally otherwise.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
This thread has me thinking,if the heater fails to come on when using the remote start would a software "fix" eliminate this annoyance? The heat works normally otherwise.
I would think it is very possible that an update would correct that problem.
My dealer spent over TWO AND A HALF HOURS installing updates to mine about at the end of 2007...
There were a LOT of updates to install.
I was back in the service dept watching and talking to the Service Manager while he did it.

I have not experienced a lot of the problems that other people have mentioned.
That may or may not be due to all of the software upgrades I have had done.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2013 XTS
16 Posts
I have a problem at times where the power windows and door locks on passenger side are dead. If I shut off the car and open the door and close it the problem goes away for a few days. Has this happened to any of you?

Denny

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
I have a problem at times where the power windows and door locks on passenger side are dead. If I shut off the car and open the door and close it the problem goes away for a few days. Has this happened to any of you?

Denny
Absolutely. That was my exact problem. It was really annoying, especially if I had a passenger with me. It was corrected over 3 years ago with a Software upgrade and since then I have never had that problem again.

There was a service bulletin out on this (not a recall) but it may be covered anyway. Check with your dealer. I’m sorry, I have no idea what the bulletin number is. If you have an extended warranty it would be covered.

Good luck.

·
Registered
97sls,09dts
880 Posts
Try this. Reprogram your door lock options, select another mode, drive around for a while if that dont work disconnect battery both pos. and neg. for about 10 min. this would be like a computer reboot. The car will hopefully zap the electron gremlins. Mike

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance/1996 Dodge Stratus ES
212 Posts
Sounds like there are a lot of software upgrades and the average customer does not know about them. What do they do? I'm thinking of going in and telling them to give me the full menu.

·
Registered
2006 DTS LuxII
141 Posts
Sounds like there are a lot of software upgrades and the average customer does not know about them. What do they do? I'm thinking of going in and telling them to give me the full menu.
Good question.I never heard of software updates to a car but of course I never owned a Cadillac before either

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Believe me... there are a LOT of software upgrades to the car.
They are normally applied only if you are having a problem and complain about it.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance
269 Posts
Good question.I never heard of software updates to a car but of course I never owned a Cadillac before either
Almost newer models and many older ones use software to control the vehicle. Emissions, engine timing, door locks, power windows, etc, etc, etc…….

I recently had some issues with my 2003 Oldsmobile Bravada with 130,000 miles. Took it to the local Chevrolet dealer and they upgraded all for less than $200. Corrected several problems. Lights flickering, engine fan running too fast to name just two.

So yes, you car is a computer on wheels. As mentioned by a previous poster reprogramming you door locks, driving around the block, reconnecting the battery may reset the locks and windows, but just getting out of the car had the same effect, but then it would happen again. The safe and permanent way is to let the dealer do the SW upgrade. This was a known issue for the 2006 DTS and GM should have sent letters to all, not just the ones who complained.

·
Registered
2010 DTS
8 Posts
I know this is an older post, but I have a 2008 DTS that is doing exactly what is described in the original post. my door locks lock randomly, and then the dash goes nuts, tach and speedo bounce wildly, and the gear indicator jumps from drive to park. all while the engine stumbles, and the car somtimes dies. Has done this 5 or 6 times now. But won't do it in front of my mechanic. He had the car for 3 days, no codes in the computer and it didn't show any symptoms while he was driving.

lthomas11002 did you ever determine what was wrong or how to fix this?

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,602 Posts
A weak battery will cause this kind of electrical problems. Also a bad ground.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
lthomas11002 did you ever determine what was wrong or how to fix this?
Click his username, open the profile. "About me". He hasn't logged in for 4 years. I doubt you'll receive a response - unless he has subscribed this particular thread to his e-mail account.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts