Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2004 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to pulling the LR tire off of my 04' Deville DTS to see what's going on with my air ride and well.... I'm not sure that's what an air shock is supposed to look like but I could be wrong lol. I'll post the picture and let me know. I'm looking for the cheapest, quality replacement while keeping the air ride intact, not looking to do any conversions. I've heard of a pair on Amazon for like $60 made by Monroe. Would anyone happen to have the link or the part number.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,318 Posts
Our resident shock expert here is Basscatt. He'll likely chime in with advice. First question he'll ask is what suspension you have, which you can find on the RPO sticker back side of spare tire cover. Have you pulled codes to see if you have anything pertinent?

·
2004 DTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already threw away the paper I had the trouble codes wrote down on, but there were two referring to LR wheel speed sensor, that's the real reason for pulling the wheel off. All the wiring is fine but my dad pointed out that the air shocks are completely blown apart, at least that's our guess seeing as how it's nearly 3 foot long... I'm comparing it to the picture of these oem replacements on Rock Auto for $90ish... I'm just trying to find the monroe replacements for my 04 Deville DTS made by Monroe, I'm just trying to save a few dollars while sticking to the factory air ride, I'm not interested in doing a conversion

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,122 Posts
The ELC shocks by Monroe are part number MA822-718?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,096 Posts
* * * NOTE * * *
our cars do NOT have AIR-RIDE -

our cars have coil spring suspension - with oil-filled struts and shocks -

our cars DO have ELC - Electronic Level Control - in the rear -
this system incorporates air bladders in the rear shocks -
designed to lift the BODY - to maintain proper ride height -
when the back seat and/or trunk have an extra load -

====================

OK - in YOUR case - there are SEVERAL things to consider -

FIRST - to answer your question - MONROE MA822 is the correct replacement shocks for a Deville -
right now - Amazon sells them for around $70 - for the pair -

NEXT -
your DTS model Deville originally came with the F45 - electronic struts and shocks -
they ELECTRONICALLY change the stiffness of the ride - constantly -
they cost around $750 EACH - IF you can find them -

the MONROE MA822 is the NON-ELECTRONIC version -
that is used for the DHS and BASE model Deville -
you will also need a couple 4.7K ohm resistors installed to satisfy the suspension computer -
the resistors are cheap - $1.70 - for a 10-pack -

LAST -
you need to determine whether the compressor is functioning correctly - or not -
and - judging by the condition of the current shocks - I suspect - NOT -

a new compressor runs around $250 -

an excellent alternative is to install the MONROE AK29 - manual-fill air line kit - around $15 -
this allows you to inflate/deflate the air bladders - manually -
as the load in the back seat and/or trunk changes -

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,318 Posts
I finally got around to pulling the LR tire off of my 04' Deville DTS to see what's going on with my air ride and well.... I'm not sure that's what an air shock is supposed to look like but I could be wrong lol. I'll post the picture and let me know. I'm looking for the cheapest, quality replacement while keeping the air ride intact, not looking to do any conversions. I've heard of a pair on Amazon for like $60 made by Monroe. Would anyone happen to have the link or the part number.
See, I told you Bass would show up. He's a bit like a Genie, shows up when you need him.

·
Registered
2000 deville
59 Posts
an excellent alternative is to install the MONROE AK29 - manual-fill air line kit - around $15 -
this allows you to inflate/deflate the air bladders - manually -
as the load in the back seat and/or trunk changes -
I did this on basscat's advice and it works. Under $20 and an hour for install and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
200 Posts
Or if you want to keep the Auto leveling I would suggest buying a new GM original compressor for a 2006 + DTS as 2004 is NLA or expensive if you find one and the aftermarket compressors are junk IMO (the GM I bought came with a new air line which actually made it cheaper then aftermarket with new airline). You will have to swap the electrical plug which means soldering and heat shrink tubing but not a big deal and bolts right in.

If you want to test your system to be sure its not leaking buy some sand or the 80 lbs ready mix (250 lbs should do it) and stick it in the trunk, measure the height in the evening and again in the morning, it should not change at all if there are no leaks.

Have fun.

·
20,096 Posts

This is what I bought for my 04
===========================
so - you paid $160 EACH for rear shocks - $320 for the pair -
the MONROE MA822 kit sells for less than $70 - for the pair -
it is a direct-fit replacement - no modifications - and gives the same EXCELLENT ride -

by the way -
the ACDelco 504-147 is for the RIGHT side -
I HOPE you bought the CORRECT - ACDelco 504-146 - for the LEFT side -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,659 Posts
For the OP, datnewguy482: Are the shocks you bought direct replacements for the F45 DTS shocks or are they passive AC Delco substitutes?

For the thread hijacker, 04devilleDHS: Good luck. Your passive suspension system is VERY different from the OP's active suspension car. NOTHING wrong with the Monroes - they're the best of the available substitutes.

Folks, keep your eyes open - we're dealing with two different cars in a hijacked thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the OP, datnewguy482: Are the shocks you bought direct replacements for the F45 DTS shocks or are they passive AC Delco substitutes?

For the thread hijacker, 04devilleDHS: Good luck. Your passive suspension system is VERY different from the OP's active suspension car. NOTHING wrong with the Monroes - they're the best of the available substitutes.

Folks, keep your eyes open - we're dealing with two different cars in a hijacked thread.
I have removed my postings to remove any confusion, don’t understand the hostility on this site.

·
Administrator
70,659 Posts
There's NO "hostility" here. You jumped into a thread about a very different car and posted parts numbers that had nothing to do with the Original Poster's car/questions. Subsequent posts indicated that the thread was becoming disjointed with incorrect info for the OP.

Thanks for removing the erroneous info - one of the Moderators might have done that this evening.

FYI, your car's build codes are on a sticker under the spare tire cover. One of those should be FE1 - which translates to passive suspension/soft springs. The OP's codes would be F45/FE3 = active suspension/sport springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's NO "hostility" here. You jumped into a thread about a very different car and posted parts numbers that had nothing to do with the Original Poster's car/questions. Subsequent posts indicated that the thread was becoming disjointed with incorrect info for the OP.

Thanks for removing the erroneous info - one of the Moderators might have done that this evening.

FYI, your car's build codes are on a sticker under the spare tire cover. One of those should be FE1 - which translates to passive suspension/soft springs. The OP's codes would be F45/FE3 = active suspension/sport springs.
That’s my bad did not read it correctly

·
Administrator
70,659 Posts
Not a problem. Thankfully, we have a Moderator and gearhead mechanic crew that attempts to keep every Cadillac model and year owner supplied with good info.

We may rub someone the wrong way once in a while but no harm or insult is ever intended.

It's kind of like the tongue-in-cheek stencil message on the nosecones of the ICBMs we carried in a missile boat I was assigned to "From those who care enough to send the very best!".

·
20,096 Posts
I have removed my postings to remove any confusion, don’t understand the hostility on this site.
======================
not sure about the "hostility" part - OR any confusion -

the shocks you listed ARE valid part numbers for DHS and BASE models
or non-electronic replacements for the DTS -

my point was the dramatic difference in cost between those and the MONROE -

·
Registered
8 Posts
======================
not sure about the "hostility" part - OR any confusion -

the shocks you listed ARE valid part numbers for DHS and BASE models
or non-electronic replacements for the DTS -

my point was the dramatic difference in cost between those and the MONROE -
Yes I miss read the info, didn’t bother to look at title DTS, as far as the shocks go yes the Monroe’s are cheaper, I go factory parts that’s just what I have always done, yes they may be way more expensive. I just don’t mind spending the extra money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts