Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New on here. Having a problem,hoping someone can help.

2008 DTS Lux2... dad's car,bought new.

My parents went on vacation but blew a brake line part way thru... stubborn old goat drove it home periodically adding fluid. Yes, he got hell for it cuz it was so far, not yo mention I drive for the auto club... but... you know how stubborn seniors can be.

He changed out the line when he got back but the system was basically empty. Now we can't get a pedal no matter how much bleeding we do, be it gravity, vacuum, or old fashioned pedal pump bleeding... engine running or off... There is endless air in the lines and no pedal.

We thought maybe he damaged the master cylinder by emptying it so many times, so we swapped on a known good used one. No change.

We are tearing our hair out, and neither of us can afford any hair loss. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any experiences?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bad section of line was in the right front corner if it makes a difference. I believe it fed the rear.

·
2011 DTS
2011 DTS Luxury II
37 Posts
Most obvious answer is that he didn't install the new brake line properly. Most likely suffering from a small air leak. The leak is not large enough to allow fluid to escape when stepping on the brake pedal, but is large enough to draw air into the lines when the brake pedal is released.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Line is properly installed. He's been doing brake lines etc. for over 50 years. We are suspicious of the ABS block since we don't know what's in there or how to diagnose it.

I've also been told it needs to go to the dealer to use a special pressurized bleeder and computer. Never heard of that...

·
Registered
1968 Deville convertible
38 Posts
They will bleed it with a tech 2 I have one. If you have other GM cars get one you can get a clone for 200 or so shipped great tool. We Corvette guys bought them and have been life savers lots of threads on the Corvette forum about it just Google it. I only mention it because I have one and well these boards aren't into much performance and stuff vs the Vette guys and we use them to bleed brakes, scan codes, check any sensor, disable the stupid F45 crap etc etc.. Here is what it can do I just mentioned this to someone earlier and I am really surprised this isn't one of the first things to get with these cars but again this isn't a performance enthusiast car to mod either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts