Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 SLS with 78,000 miles on it. I bought used in November and its been fairly reliable, after I replaced the splice pack and PCM 2 weeks later. I generally use the car locally so its sees mostly stop and go traffic. The car sat this weekend and when I started it this morning, the ABS and Traction Control lights stayed illuminated. I drove off to the train station, parked the car and entered to diagnostic to pull the codes. C1243 appeared in history and no other codes were stored or current. I cleared it, started the car again and the lights were still on. I didnt have time to see if the same code set, I'll check that tonight.

Anyone have any ideas what this can be? I know the ABS pump is in the front of the car, near the bumper cover. The car does not have a lower splash shield installed, or fender liners for that matter, so I am wondering if corrosion is a factor. I live near the water and I know salt corrosion started to appear on other cars I've owned. I'm thinking its possibly a bad ground wire as ground wire problems seem to plague all the newer cars with multiple electronic circuits.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had gotten the code once before after I took the car to the beach. Both times the code set after being in humid conditions, that's why I am thinking its a wiring issue.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After trying to clear one more time, unsuccessfully, I jacked up the car, disconnected the harness from the ABS pump, blew some air in both male and female connectors and reconnected it. I entered diagnostics, cleared the DTC and the code didn't return. It seems to have done the trick. I looked at the ground wire to the pump when I was under there and it has a little rust on it, but no green corrosion. I'll remove it, clean it and reinstall it over the weekend, just as a precaution.

Thanks for the help all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts