Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CTS 2006
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short I had only gotten an hour of sleep and when pulling out of my driveway my wheels were turned causing me to reverse off of the 4" curb by my driveway rather than off of the driveway. The car seems to have cleared having the underside scrape against the curb but steering feels looser and the wheels don't automatically straighten when giving the car gas. The wheel seemed to "lock" at a straight position after a turn and no longer does that. I plan to have the alignment checked and hope that that returns steering to normal. Does anyone have similar experience with this? No, I don't plan to drive tired again after that. In fact, I try end around and went back home after giving it consideration.

----------

That is, both pairs of wheels (the entire car) went over the curb.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
A few weeks ago I went completely off road at over 70mph
A very inexperienced mistake
3AM
Girls/Guys
Cars/Trucks racing
Not really knowing the area we went to about 45 min from home.
Was leading the pack, and the road merged into one, due to the speed I was going, the road merged almost instantly not giving me a chance to realize and went off road.

I did not have much trouble going back on the road, the car hopped around much but stayed stable enough.

After this every time I go over 85 on the expressway the car sort of has a distinctive shake in the steering wheel, its something minimal but noticeable now.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,043 Posts
So long story short I had only gotten an hour of sleep and when pulling out of my driveway my wheels were turned causing me to reverse off of the 4" curb by my driveway rather than off of the driveway. The car seems to have cleared having the underside scrape against the curb but steering feels looser and the wheels don't automatically straighten when giving the car gas. The wheel seemed to "lock" at a straight position after a turn and no longer does that. I plan to have the alignment checked and hope that that returns steering to normal.
Unless you back out of your driveway at 80mph ;) , there's very little possibility that you did anything to the car. If the underside of the car didn't hit the curb, there's really no way to have damaged anything, particularly not at driveway / parking lot type speeds. My guess is that the car is completely fine, but you were worried you had done something to damage it so you were being hyper-sensitive to the way it behaved.

With that said, it certainly can't hurt to get the car aligned.

·
Registered
CTS 2006
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you back out of your driveway at 80mph ;) , there's very little possibility that you did anything to the car. If the underside of the car didn't hit the curb, there's really no way to have damaged anything, particularly not at driveway / parking lot type speeds. My guess is that the car is completely fine, but you were worried you had done something to damage it so you were being hyper-sensitive to the way it behaved.

With that said, it certainly can't hurt to get the car aligned.
Thanks for the words of encouragement but steering is definitely off. The wheels aren't straightening themselves when accelerated as they should and did before among the other issues with steering. I wish it wasn't the case but that bump off the curb threw something off :(.

----------

A few weeks ago I went completely off road at over 70mph
A very inexperienced mistake
3AM
Girls/Guys
Cars/Trucks racing
Not really knowing the area we went to about 45 min from home.
Was leading the pack, and the road merged into one, due to the speed I was going, the road merged almost instantly not giving me a chance to realize and went off road.

I did not have much trouble going back on the road, the car hopped around much but stayed stable enough.

After this every time I go over 85 on the expressway the car sort of has a distinctive shake in the steering wheel, its something minimal but noticeable now.
Sounds like something I'd get checked! Did you end up in a patch of grass?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
It was grass, Lumps of dirt and grass, with grass that had not been cut. It was definitely not a smooth off-road experience.
If I was in a truck I think I might have rolled over.

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
OP the first thing I would take a look at when I would get under the car is the tie-rods, loose tie rods cause the steering to be not so precise and create dead-zones in the steering if they're worn for example. Then I would check the struts make sure none are leaking oil from the impact (most probably they are fine) then I would check ball joints what's their state?

There's isn't much to a front suspension in these cars, UCA, LCA, lower and upper ball joints in addition to the tie rods (outer tie rods usually is what wears out first)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts