Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SRX 6 CYL AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off by saying I have zero interest in cars. I need to haul large hairy dogs, I hate to spend money on repairs. That's my entire relationship with vehicles.

That being said my 2001 PT Cruiser just died (Again) and before that I drove a Hyundai Accent. Noisy, bumpy etc. etc. I went to look at a couple Fords and Hondsas tonight and was shown a 2005 Cadillac SRX. Took it for a ride and yes, it sure rides nicer that the Cruiser.

My question is about repairs and regular maintenance. There's a BOATLOAD of mileage on this car so I'm sure it will need "stuff". I'm wondering if the regular maintenance and parts will be considerably more expensive than what I'm used to seeing?

Sadly, as much as I loved the ride, there's no point buying it if I can't maintain it - Possibly I'm boxing far out of my class here!

Would appreciate some straightforward feedback!

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it's and v6 stay away if it's a v8 you have a punchers chance that alotta the kinks on the car has been corrected such as flooding in the rear Jack department...it all depends how long you plan to keep the car and the condition/maintenance kept up on the car by previous owner...

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD
336 Posts
Well, and it's an 11 year old car with a lot of miles on it. Every car like that is going to have some issues, from minor to major. There are a lot of sensors and such on these cars because 'luxury'. And if it's a V6 check to see if the timing chains have been replaced and watch the oil like a hawk.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
I have been buying higher mileage stuff lately and I have found that most of the stuff that fails has been fixed like elchapo said.

Define a lot of miles.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
I am a big fan of the SRX, but maintenance costs are fairly high. This is not a reliability issue, but relates to the fact that this is a luxury vehicle. Parts and service at a dealership are very pricey. For instance: change wheel bearing $700, replace headlamp bulb $600 etc. Repairs of luxury vehicles (Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW) may be 2 to 3 times more than those for non-luxury auto brands. If you are not a "car guy" like you mention and do not do any work yourself and still want to purchase the SRX, I would set aside a fund to handle incidental repairs.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
If all you want is reliability/economy and haul hairy dogs, SRX is not your choice, look around there are better alternatives for your choice of use

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac CTS, 2004 SRX V8 AWD
36 Posts
I agree with SRX93, Not the vehicle for you. Within the last four months I have spent $862 in parts for my 2004 SRX V8. It has 68k miles on it now. I do all my own maintenance, but some of the parts add up quickly. I couldn't fathom what the dealer would charge to replace what I replaced.

If you don't want maintenance costs or breakdowns, pay $250 a month and lease/buy a brand new Chevy Cruze or VW jetta wagon. Something of that nature. If you don't want to pay for a new car, you can expect to pay a MINIMUM of $1500 a year in car repairs on a 5-8 year old vehicle. The older they are, the worse it gets.

It's the age old battle:

New car = payments with no repair costs
Used car = repair costs with no payments

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Yes true indeed, unfortunately for the USA market/reputation, a lot of old Jap cars are still out there as strong as when bought, find one with regular maintenance/one owner and you will have one with minimal repairs to worry about, used cars/no warranty are like women, you never know what your getting into till its too late. I see you list your car as a V6 SRX, my condolences to your wallet!!

·
Registered
2008 SRX V-6 AWD
141 Posts
cargo room, reliable, great on gas.. miss my Prius. Only reason I went with the SRX instead of another Prius is my body size. At 6'2" and close to 300lbs I had to put seat extenders in the Prius. When I wrecked it that move snapped my sternum.. no more small cars for this big guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts