Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All: As I mention awhile ago my fuel pump went in my97 Cat and now I'm ready to replace it. I've seen those wierd fittings they use and seen the special tools they want us to use to disconnect the fuel lines. But after looking at the setup I'm wondering if I have to remove the tank at all. Let me pose this question and count on you knowledgeable people for some input. If I disconnect the fuel pump from the tank strap would there be enough play in the fuel lines and the other connections to just drop the back of the tank to get at the pump? It seems logical to me, but maybe someone has tried it and gotten into treouble for doing it that way. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I tried to remove the fuel filter and the bolt on the bottom of the filter just keeps turning without coming out. Likewise if I try to re-tighten it the bolt doesn't tighten. Do I have a problem. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CORRECTION: I meant to say `remove the fuel filter from the tank strap`, just a small detail. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
99 champagne catera (sold), 98 silver Catera
10 Posts
I dropped the tank in my 98 while doing some troubleshooting. If I remember correctly, I removed the 2 rear strap bolts, and lowered the tank down with a jack, leaving the 2 front strap bolts in. The fuel lines and wires should have enough play to maneuver it out and disconnect everything.

I found my culprit to be a bad fuel pump relay. It's the top left one in your relay center under the hood if your facing the windshield. It's worth a check, unless your positive your pump is shot.

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure I could, but needed some reassurance. The "bump the tank" approach worked twice then it died. Thanks again. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah!! It doesn't work. I couldn't get the tank low enough to get at the clamps (one time squeeze on type). The fuel line and the return line were quite tight. I had to cut a hole in the trunk. Surprizingly there is a circle on the floor of the trunk as if they intended to put an access hole there, but didn't. It was worth the effort though. I still have problem with the filter though. The bolt on the bottom turns but doesn't come out or tighten. Haven't figured that one out yet. Any takers? Regards, Brian

·
Registered
1997 Catera
3 Posts
Hey Brian,

Do you have a picture of the access hole in your trunk?

I have a 97 Catera and will be replacing the fuel pump this weekend. I have looked in the trunk and do not see an access hole, but there are a few places the look like an access template.

Please send a pic or describe where the hole would go.

Thank you

David
[email protected]

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi David: I cut the hole on the right side of the trunk where there is a pre-stamped shape like a circle. It sure looked like there was going to be an access hole. I still don't have my pump in as I'm waiting for that tool required to remove the pump from the tank. It's amazing to know that the tool is used for many different makes and models of cars, but I couldn't find one here for love or money. I have to order one from eBay (Tacoma Wash.) Oh well. Good luck with yours. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
1997 Catera
3 Posts
Thank you for the reply,

I did get the fuel pump out after cutting the trunk hole. It was actually quite easy. I didn't need any sort of special tool for any part of it. It would appear that the pump had been replaced before as there were standard hose clamps on the fuel feed lines at the tank.

Oddly enough, turns out that the main issue i was having is that someone replaced the ignition switch at the column at some point and the transponder located in the key was not coded correctly for the car.

So it is now sitting at the caddy dealership getting re programmed. I should get it back today.

I appreciate your help and that hole is going to be even more awesome when I have to replace the pump again down the road.

David.

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
David: Even with the special tool that I bought on eBay I cannot get that plastic ring to turn. Do I have to push down or something? The tool just slips on those ever so small tabs that have to take all the twisting. It's driving be bonkers. Your thoughts?

Regards, Brian

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I was hoping someone would come forward with some suggestions, but I still have broken pump in my tank. It appears that the current pump is the original. I've put WD40 on the metal cover where it meets the plastic ring, but that hasn't helped at all. The tool just slips off, and with every attempt the plastic lugs get a little more tattered. If worse comes to worse maybe I'll have to cut the plastic ring off, but then are they available for purchase? Has anyone out there got anything to offer? Regards, Brian

·
Registered
1997 Catera
3 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, i used a flat head screw driver and a hammer and started that big plastic ring to spin counter clockwise. once about 1/4 turn around, it was fairly easy to reach in there and twist it off by hand. I will be online for a while and also you can get me on google talk at [email protected] or on yahoo at [email protected] if you need more timely responses.

Sorry for the delay again.

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey David: No apologies needed, we get on here when we can. I ended up doing what you did and the pump is in and working fine. I couldn't however get that wire hoop with the spring on it to go back in place around the largest diameter of the rubber. I left it off though, doesn't seem to do much. Now I'm into the other problem in that area. The &%$(*& fuel filter fitting on the bottom doesn't come out or go in. I went to the dealership today to find out price and availability of fuel lines if worse got to worse. I almost croked when he said $230.00CDN for a hose from the filter to the tank.

Anyhow I think I might have a workable idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to clamp down really hard on the short extension at the bottom of the filter with vice grips and try to turn the bolt at the same time. I think maybe there's a nut pressed into that extension on the inside and it's just turning when I try wrenching the bolt out. The GM parts guy agrees that it might be the solution. Regards, Brian

·
Registered
1997 catera/03 CTS
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello All: Well, without crowing too much I was right. The gas filter has a nut crimped into the filter canister that was sliding around when I tried to remove the filter. I put the vice grips to it and it came off no sweat. All is good now, so I can now move on to replacing some bushings in the front end and an O2 sensor. These cars are full time work, but great entertainment too. Cheers, Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts