Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an area near the rear window where the material is drooping a little. I don't have to tell you how much they want for a new headliner. Is there a way that I could shoot some GM adhesive spray up there and press it back in place.?

I thought of using a sharp blade and slicing it open about 4" and spray the adhesive in it and then lay it back up. I don't think anyone would notice the slice unless they're looking for it. What do you think?

·
Registered
724 Posts
HEADLINER.jpg

Caution: Do not attempt to repair or alter the head impact energy-absorbing material glued to the headliner or to the garnish trims. If the material is damaged, replace the headliner and/or the garnish trim. Failure to do so could result in personal injury.

Notice: Use care when working around the head curtain inflator module. Sharp tools may puncture the curtain airbag. If the head curtain inflator module is damaged in any way, it must be replaced.

Notice: If a vehicle is equipped with a head curtain inflator module ensure that the inflator module and tether are undamaged. If tether or curtain airbag are damaged in any way, they must be replaced.

In the picture #2 are the rear Headlining Trim Retainers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an area near the rear window where the material is drooping a little. I don't have to tell you how much they want for a new headliner. Is there a way that I could shoot some GM adhesive spray up there and press it back in place.?

I thought of using a sharp blade and slicing it open about 4" and spray the adhesive in it and then lay it back up. I don't think anyone would notice the slice unless they're looking for it. What do you think?
Question, does your vehicle have a Webasto sunroof? It will say it on the handle for the close out panel. If it does, these Sunroofs were considered "Factory" but were not installed at the factory due to lack of capacity in the sunroof installation station at DHAM. The vehicles that couldnt receive Sunroofs at the factory would be shipped to depots to have the sunroofs installed after which the headliners were installed.

On the assembly line in the factory the headliner was installed after the Sunroof was installed, through the windshield opening before windshield and backlite were installed. Installing the Headliner at the Depot where the Webastos were installed required bending the headliner in half to fit it in the door opening. The headliners never recovered from the bending.

The wind "buffeting" when you open the windows helps peel the cloth from the substrate as the glue ages. I tried the repair you suggested a long time ago on a vehicle using 3M spray headline adhesive. It didn't hold. Your headliner is a different material. It might work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts