Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my SRX about one year ago. I got such a screaming deal on it that I didn't make the dealership reeplace the bad passenger side DRL/turn signal bulb. Little did I know how much of a PITA that task would be.

About 2 weeks ago, the same bulb went out. The timing was bad as I had no time to fix it. Then one morning, it was just working again. Either the car fairies visited me, or I have loose connection somewhere. I'm hoping it was the car fairies. Maybe they can make my Spot Mode work again too!

·
Registered
('04 SRX N* AWD) '11 Lincoln MKT AWD
1,049 Posts
My guess would be a corroded bulb base. The cure is, of course, is to clean it. Problem is, if you go that far, you might as well replace it. Use a bit of dielectric grease when you do.

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
We had a similar problem with one front DRL-turn light lamp.
We did a self-repair after seeing an access approach without removing whole front bumper, etc in this forum:
1) we removed front wheel; 2) removed fender liner; 3) removed the assembly with torque set wrench; 4) found both lamp elements still intact (by also checking with ohm-meter) and no apparent damage to the socket; 5) cleaned lamp electrodes & reinstalled - worked fine for couple months, then intermittent again; 6) went through above removal, etc again - found lamp still good ...but this time we found the lamp's "plastic base" to be slightly "warped" (from heat?) - which likely caused intermittent - and then replaced lamp with one that has a "bakelite base".
In searching for replacement lamps, we found some with 8.5 watt dissipation and some with 7 watt dissipation. We chose the 7 watt version to reduce internal heat since lamp is both daylight DRL and turn light so it's ON nearly all the time except when headlights on. Seems to have corrected the "intermittent-when-on" problem.
Hope this helps, good luck!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts