Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was looking to replace my factory installed Halogen DRL bulbs with LED's instead and preferably in 6000K (Pure White) or 8000K (Ice Blue). Is that possible without a conversion kit? Seems like I saw some company that sold them years ago but I can't find them now. And I believe it was an even swap out, no conversion kit and etc.

These are the lights that automatically turn on and run during the daylight hours.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction for those?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 CTS Black Raven Sedan / LY7 / 6 Speed Manual AY6 / RWD
542 Posts
Re: DLR in LED 8000K Blue instead of Halogen replacement???

You'll have to break out the soldering iron unless you want to pay a fortune for an LED screw in replacement for those. I ended up just taking them out and run my upgraded light pipes and driving lights during the day. It does make a world of difference replacing them with LED's though.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
If you're talking the premium HID lights with the separate DRL lamps in the lower rectangle, those do have plug in replacement LED bulbs. I replaced them on my 09. But find good quality bulbs. The ones I had looked great till a broken connection started the bulb flickering, then it went out.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're talking the premium HID lights with the separate DRL lamps in the lower rectangle, those do have plug in replacement LED bulbs. I replaced them on my 09. But find good quality bulbs. The ones I had looked great till a broken connection started the bulb flickering, then it went out.
Hey, yeah. Those are the lights I'm talking about. I have the 08 CTS and they're the lights that are constantly on by default in the rectangular section just above the headlights. I clicked on your Amazon link but it gave me a page full of LED'S of different types. What are they actually called? HID DRL lights?

Glad to know I don't have to consider the soldering iron. That would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey, yeah. Those are the lights I'm talking about. I have the 08 CTS and they're the lights that are constantly on by default in the rectangular section just above the headlights. I clicked on your Amazon link but it gave me a page full of LED'S of different types. What are they actually called? HID DRL lights?

Glad to know I don't have to consider the soldering iron. That would be a nightmare.
They have come down in price since I last checked:

https://www.amazon.com/Alla-Lighting-Light-Bright-Replacement/dp/B016O424B8

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I looked up the part number for my 2008 CTS and the OEM part number translates to a DS1 HID Xenon. Your link says 5201 5202 LED bulbs. Do you know those to be the exact replacement for the DS1 Xenon's? I suppose I could just order it and if it doesn't appear to work just send them back for a refund but just wondering.

They do look quite different from the ones I need to replace here:
https://www.amazon.com/SOCAL-LED-Factory-Headlight-Replacement-Iceberg/dp/B00QW9T29S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=DS1+HID&qid=1558434800&s=automotive&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

So before I start pulling off my bumper and a bunch of other stuff, I would like to know if I'm looking at a simple replacement or some other work to get those in your link to fit.

Which model do you own?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cool. I looked up the part number for my 2008 CTS and the OEM part number translates to a DS1 HID Xenon. Your link says 5201 5202 LED bulbs. Do you know those to be the exact replacement for the DS1 Xenon's? I suppose I could just order it and if it doesn't appear to work just send them back for a refund but just wondering.

They do look quite different from the ones I need to replace here:
https://www.amazon.com/SOCAL-LED-Factory-Headlight-Replacement-Iceberg/dp/B00QW9T29S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=DS1+HID&qid=1558434800&s=automotive&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

So before I start pulling off my bumper and a bunch of other stuff, I would like to know if I'm looking at a simple replacement or some other work to get those in your link to fit.

Which model do you own?
You're looking at headlights there, not driving lights. If you want to replace the headlights then you'll want a Morimoto bulb. I have the HID lights.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
:yeah: Those are not DRL bulbs, those are headlight bulbs. The other link in post 5 shows DRL bulbs. The headlight HID bulb shines through the circular projector lens at the bottom of the light. That is in post 6. The halogen DRL shines through the lower rectangle just above the headlights and is linked in post 5. The top rectangle is the turn signal bulb. When this one is requested, the DRL rectangle just below turns off, but the headlight at the bottom does not turn off.

I would like to see the HID bulb fit in the DRL location. That WOULD require a soldering iron. :stirpot:

·
Registered
542 Posts
:yeah: Those are not DRL bulbs, those are headlight bulbs. The other link in post 5 shows DRL bulbs. The headlight HID bulb shines through the circular projector lens at the bottom of the light. That is in post 6. The halogen DRL shines through the lower rectangle just above the headlights and is linked in post 5. The top rectangle is the turn signal bulb. When this one is requested, the DRL rectangle just below turns off, but the headlight at the bottom does not turn off.

I would like to see the HID bulb fit in the DRL location. That WOULD require a soldering iron. :stirpot:
And a fire extinguisher lol.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are the bulbs I bought for my DRLs in my HID-equipped 2011. They were reviewed. They will be cheaper on .com. Full disclosure: haven't installed them yet. Pulled my fuses, the bulbs are in my glove box, lol.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00O8ZNJ2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yep, thanks. I ran a check against the bulbs in your link and the checker says they'll fit my 2008 CTS. Now if only I can find those in a 8000K Ice Blue. :(

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Okay, Okay..... So I was wrong :bigroll:
I went to the GM Parts site and tried to identify the correct part number for the DRL's based on a diagram but obviously picked the Headlight instead. Called the Caddy dealer and was told the DRL part number is 10351675 and the HID part number is

The bulb that seems to fit based on what I've found is a H16 5202 TYPE 1 LED. So guess I'm gonna look for that in 8000K and I may just be in business. :)

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Okay, Okay..... So I was wrong :bigroll:
I went to the GM Parts site and tried to identify the correct part number for the DRL's based on a diagram but obviously picked the Headlight instead. Called the Caddy dealer and was told the DRL part number is 10351675 and the HID part number is

The bulb that seems to fit based on what I've found is a H16 5202 TYPE 1 LED. So guess I'm gonna look for that in 8000K and I may just be in business. :)
I wasn't looking to make anyone feel bad, just trying to make sure we were all on the same page. I'd hate to see anyone buy the wrong bulbs be disappointed when you open the box and find you bought the wrong bulbs. And lose money shipping things back and forth.

I concur with Jay. When I replaced mine I got the white and they looked real nice since they matched the headlights. That yellow from the halogens is so ugly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts