Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS, thunder grey chromaflair
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 model, I have the factory HID. I am thinking about changing the DRL to this LED. Should I get it with type 1 (straight connect) or type 2 (right-angle connect) connector?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual
487 Posts
I just made this change on my 2011 Coupe. The OEM is straight but there is plenty of room for a angled connector. The 5002 DRL bulb is a push in with two clips, one each side180deg. apart. I hope you have small hands, I couldn't reach it with my fat fingers, used a pair of needle nose pliars and broke the old bulb retaining rim. The LED's look 100% better.

----------

Just looked up H16 Type 1 and Type 2, you definitely need type 1 with the straight connector. The Type 2 will fit the fog lights as they have a twist In socket that the 3 tabs fit Into. The DRL have a push In socket with a clip retainer 180deg, apart.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
I just made this change on my 2011 Coupe. The OEM is straight but there is plenty of room for a angled connector. The 5002 DRL bulb is a push in with two clips, one each side180deg. apart. I hope you have small hands, I couldn't reach it with my fat fingers, used a pair of needle nose pliars and broke the old bulb retaining rim. The LED's look 100% better.

----------

Just looked up H16 Type 1 and Type 2, you definitely need type 1 with the straight connector. The Type 2 will fit the fog lights as they have a twist In socket that the 3 tabs fit Into. The DRL have a push In socket with a clip retainer 180deg, apart.
What kind of bulb are you using and how much was it? Were you able to get this done without taking the bumper off?

·
Registered
487 Posts
The bulbs for the DRL are XD-502-LED 5202/H16/9009 Xenron Depot 30W CREE LED Fog Light Bulbs HID Color:5000K, I got
them from KBcarstuff.com $39.99 for two.
I doubt that you can make the change to the DRL without taking the front cover off. It is not as bad as it sounds, I took my time and it was only about three hours from start to finish. If I had to do it again I think I could do it in an hour.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of bulb are you using and how much was it? Were you able to get this done without taking the bumper off?
The price vary so much in the market place, it's ridiculous! You can find almost the same bulb (5202 H16 cree LED DRL ... 5w/11w/15w/30w/50w/80w) for $9 ~ $200+. From the product description, it's impossible to differentiate the good from the bad.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
I am personally not comfortable installing no-name brand LED's into the headlight housing, not knowing how long it would last, especially if the bumper has to come off. I have only used PIAA LED's that last forever (I have them for the rear license plate right now). But those are pricey.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I
was of the same thought until I pulled the trigger and did the job, Knowing what I do now, It would not be a big deal to put the original bulbs or different ones back In. Google headlight replacement on a CTS on YouTube and they walk you thru the process of pulling the front clip. It Is not that bad of a job. I laid down a blanket and placed the clip on It. Not a scratch on the clip. Like I stated before, the second time around would take 1/2 the time.
Also the look of the DRL at 5000K is worth the effort. The car looks like a late model with white lights instead of the yellowish glow of Halogen

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
I had purchased a pair awhile back on ebay for $50 which I thought was pricey compared to others. After one year, one died so I removed the drl fuses and left the other bulb in. If I had to do it again, I would pay 100+ for a good brand name set.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had purchased a pair awhile back on ebay for $50 which I thought was pricey compared to others. After one year, one died so I removed the drl fuses and left the other bulb in. If I had to do it again, I would pay 100+ for a good brand name set.
Not sure if that would make the difference. I have not bought any LED bulb for automobile, but I have been buying LED lights for home use from Home Depot, Costco, Frys ... most of them were rated at 50,000 hours, and none ever lasted anywhere near that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts