Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is it bad for the engine? if i feel the rough idle every now and then, should i replace the failing coils asap? is it possible that it may cause leaky valves and such, because gas isn't being burned as efficiently as it should?

i feel like waiting until the pack fails entirely. because this has been a new record for me in terms of not spending money on the car. almost 2 months! :-D

the car feels as though its lost a tiny bit of power. but that is definitely something i can deal with in the meantime.

also, pictures! :)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
If a coil gets weak it will cause misfire. If it sparks the plug, the fuel will burn. It won't cause leaky valves.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:confused: rocky....What gives you the idea that (some of) the ignition coils are weak ??? Electron flow doesn't "wear out".....if it did, your 115 year old 220/440 electric service lines wouldn't supply enough power to light a 4W night light. There's something more to this than coils.....

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
:confused: rocky....What gives you the idea that (some of) the ignition coils are weak ??? Electron flow doesn't "wear out".....if it did, your 115 year old 220/440 electric service lines wouldn't supply enough power to light a 4W night light. There's something more to this than coils.....
Good point.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the car will intermittently rough idle.

i've definitely narrowed it down to the coils. as i had the exact same 15 second rough idle every other day except sunday but only when the moon is out type of rough idle. :p. the dealership confirmed that a pack was beginning to fail. they replaced. then another pack completely failed, causing the car to shake at idle and lose most of its power. the dealership replaced it for free.

same thing is happening again.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
Are you sure it is the coils and not the ICM or the ICM ground?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts