Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS Wagon
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. First post. I searched the archives and didn't see this addressed so hoping it's not a repeat and someone can help.

I've got a 2012 CTS Wagon and occasionally use it to haul things around, most frequently my kayak. (Inside the car. Yes.) When I'm carrying just one, it fits with the hatch closed; carrying two requires that I drive with the hatch slightly open. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a latch hook or anything I can tie a rope around to keep it only ~20" open, so the hatch ends up opening all the way... probably not good for it at highway speeds. It was only an issue a couple of times last year, but it's already lake season in Texas and I'm hoping someone's got a solve. I plan to keep the wagon for several more years so don't mind having a permanent hook installed... but I'm hoping there's something already built in that I've missed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
Carbon monoxide is a bad thing.
"To put it simply, Carbon monoxide Kills! Working near exhaust fumes exposes you to poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) gas, which is present in large amounts in vehicle exhaust fumes. Overexposure to this odorless and colorless gas can cause death. Even mild exposure to CO can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea and fatigue."
http://www.carid.com/2012-cadillac-cts-canoe-carriers-kayak-racks/

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
I had to do that once (also with kayaks) and I was able to get the hook on a bungee cord around the lock mechanism in the tailgate. That kept the trunk from opening all the way, although it still bounced a bit.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Wagon
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the lock mechanism in the tailgate? Seems like it disappears into the hatch when not actually locked.

(Amunderdog - I know, but I can't use a rack. Too short and not strong enough... the car, the kayak, and me would all end up injured. The drive's only 10-15 min, and I leave the rest of the windows in the car open.)

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,168 Posts
I bought a small oval hook...round may work...about 1/8" thick. With the hatch open I place it into the locking latch, and, the latch locks around it securely! You can then use a bungee cord to secure to the base. To release the hook just press the "close" button on the rear latch. It will spit the hook out and your just like new!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts