Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SDV D'Elegance
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to All,

I've been a Cadillac fan and owner for many years. I now live is south Florida, the land of milk and honey for used Cadillac buyers. My last Caddy, bought in 2013 is Sarasota was a '97 with 27,000 one owner miles that I bought from an estate. Absolutely gorgeous car.

I've now got the itch again. I've always liked the Concours, especially for the bucket seat interior. However, they're very hard to come by and the CVRSS system adds a bit of risk to an already risky purchase (head gasket issues, etc.) But if I'm going to find one, where I live now is the place to do it.

Accordingly, I'm looking for input from Concours owners both past and present as to whether the PERFORMANCE experience of the Concours is materially different from that of the DeVille. The published stats are not that different. What can you guys tell me about the power, and handling experience of the Concours? Is it worth the extra purchase cost and mechanical risk exposure to buy the Concours or is the DeVille close enough to not be distinguishable?

Many thanks...Kevin

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
This might help your decisions. Have no idea of the magazine(s) it was compiled from.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,222 Posts
Greetings to All,

I've been a Cadillac fan and owner for many years. I now live is south Florida, the land of milk and honey for used Cadillac buyers. My last Caddy, bought in 2013 is Sarasota was a '97 with 27,000 one owner miles that I bought from an estate. Absolutely gorgeous car.

I've now got the itch again. I've always liked the Concours, especially for the bucket seat interior. However, they're very hard to come by and the CVRSS system adds a bit of risk to an already risky purchase (head gasket issues, etc.) But if I'm going to find one, where I live now is the place to do it.

Accordingly, I'm looking for input from Concours owners both past and present as to whether the PERFORMANCE experience of the Concours is materially different from that of the DeVille. The published stats are not that different. What can you guys tell me about the power, and handling experience of the Concours? Is it worth the extra purchase cost and mechanical risk exposure to buy the Concours or is the DeVille close enough to not be distinguishable?

Many thanks...Kevin
===================================
I always get a kick out of these threads -

you are talking about a Cadillac Deville -

a big - 4000 pound boat - with respectable power -
not a go-kart -

the "performance" difference between the base Deville and the Concours -
WHEN NEW -
was marginal - at best -

the Concours was SLIGHTLY quicker -
and had a SLIGHTLY firmer ride -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
......... and now every Deville (Seville, Eldorado, any other car) you find, regardless of model level, will have different "performance", all predicated on the type and level of service/maintenance that the car has had all its life.

Unless you are one of the very, very, very few who finds a car with a complete detailed service and maintenance history on paper you have absolutely no idea of what you're buying. Just because it says Cadillac and DHS on the trunk does not mean that's what the car still IS.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
The Concours I drove handled like a pig since the shocks and struts were worn out. I really didn't notice any difference in performance. Unless you want to go broke swapping in OEM struts and shocks I would just buy one for looks myself. Although it wouldn't be difficult to swap the interior into a Base model to gain console(have been thinking of doing myself)

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
If you're talking about -performance-, the difference would be like a bathtub with 50 gallons in it or like a bathtub with 48 gallons in it. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts