Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2016 ATS-V
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those V3 owners that have owned a V2, how do the driving dynamics of the car compare to the V2 and feel overall.

I have a V2 wagon and while I like what the car is, I have never loved the driving dynamics of the car. Part of the reason is I bought an automatic instead of the manual I wanted. I find the transmission acts like the 4L60E that is in my 01 Silverado and I understand why that is.
I realize I own the heaviest variant, but combined with the heavy steering, just gives the car an even heavier feel.
I love the car as a GT car and have taken it on quite a few long distance road trips, the only things that hold It back is the fuel range and I find after a few hours the heavy steering really wears on you.
My wife has a 2013 ATS 2.0L Manual and I love that car, decent power, fairly light weight for what it is, and great handling. The car also feels nimble and responsive, I’ve even taken it on a road course and it was a blast. I got the same feeling when driving our old Mustang GT 5spd and my co-worker’s 2015 M3.
I’ve driven the new CTS as loaners (3.6L and 2.0T, both with the 8 spd automatics) and while you can tell they are bigger and heavier than the ATS, they feel much lighter than my V2 (as they are).
Trying to see if they carry those dynamics over to the V3, or if the added weight of the LT4 and big wheels and tires mutes that.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
For those V3 owners that have owned a V2, how do the driving dynamics of the car compare to the V2 and feel overall.

I have a V2 wagon and while I like what the car is, I have never loved the driving dynamics of the car. Part of the reason is I bought an automatic instead of the manual I wanted. I find the transmission acts like the 4L60E that is in my 01 Silverado and I understand why that is.
I realize I own the heaviest variant, but combined with the heavy steering, just gives the car an even heavier feel.
I love the car as a GT car and have taken it on quite a few long distance road trips, the only things that hold It back is the fuel range and I find after a few hours the heavy steering really wears on you.
My wife has a 2013 ATS 2.0L Manual and I love that car, decent power, fairly light weight for what it is, and great handling. The car also feels nimble and responsive, I’ve even taken it on a road course and it was a blast. I got the same feeling when driving our old Mustang GT 5spd and my co-worker’s 2015 M3.
I’ve driven the new CTS as loaners (3.6L and 2.0T, both with the 8 spd automatics) and while you can tell they are bigger and heavier than the ATS, they feel much lighter than my V2 (as they are).
Trying to see if they carry those dynamics over to the V3, or if the added weight of the LT4 and big wheels and tires mutes that.
That was always the difference for me from V1 to V2. That added heft didn't make it nearly as fun to toss around. Granted, the handling limits weren't far off in similarity, but you could feel it.

Since the V3 is in between, with better tire compounds and a more direct front strut setup and with magnetic shocks and adjustable settings and all that, I'd imagine it's that much better...

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
Re: Driving dynamics V3 vs. V3

That was always the difference for me from V1 to V2. That added heft didn't make it nearly as fun to toss around. Granted, the handling limits weren't far off in similarity, but you could feel it.

Since the V3 is in between, with better tire compounds and a more direct front strut setup and with magnetic shocks and adjustable settings and all that, I'd imagine it's that much better...
it is...the car is much lighter on its feet in actuality than its visual size....in PTM/Race the throttle response is fierce and makes for instant speed changes vs V2 where you can feel its mass build speed...the way V3 closes gaps to cars in front of you is startling...it feels like an ATS just a bigger one...you have to drive it back to back with an ATS-V to feel the weight difference, without doing that you just wouldn't know its size from the seat of your pants

·
Registered
238 Posts

it is...the car is much lighter on its feet in actuality than its visual size....in PTM/Race the throttle response is fierce and makes for instant speed changes vs V2 where you can feel its mass build speed...the way V3 closes gaps to cars in front of you is startling...it feels like an ATS just a bigger one...you have to drive it back to back with an ATS-V to feel the weight difference, without doing that you just wouldn't know its size from the seat of your pants

YES!!! This is my assessment as well. The agility of this vehicle phenomenal.. and is on par with my Stingray

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2016 ATS-V
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I never drove a V1, but I always thought the V1 would be a fun track car, where the V2 seems much more fun out in the desert/longer mountain passes.

I'm glad to hear that! I really want a V3, but have been debating about a ATS-v (I know you replied to the other thread). I love my Wife's ATS, but for everyday use, I like a little bigger car, not to mention I like the torque/responsiveness of a NA/Supercharged V8. In her ats, if you aren't on boost, you feel screwed.

How is the steering weight?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

I never drove a V1, but I always thought the V1 would be a fun track car, where the V2 seems much more fun out in the desert/longer mountain passes.

I'm glad to hear that! I really want a V3, but have been debating about a ATS-v (I know you replied to the other thread). I love my Wife's ATS, but for everyday use, I like a little bigger car, not to mention I like the torque/responsiveness of a NA/Supercharged V8. In her ats, if you aren't on boost, you feel screwed.

How is the steering weight?
it's a variable assist/variable ratio steering system so the weight is dependant on the cars driving mode, it's never too light, something i attribute to the tires, so i would says starts medium and goes up to heavy from there, but this is in a parking lot or toodling about, because when on track or in canyon your focussed elsewhere, and to me this is the best compliment, i didn't notice in those situations, which to me tells me it's great, it didn't bother me by being to light or too heavy when driving hard, it was just nice how placeable the car was when trying to get your lines right

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
165 Posts
It has been quite a while since I drove a a stock V2, it spent most of its life as a a pretty heavily modified variant. From what I do remember the two biggest differences between the V2 and V3 are throttle response and turn in handling. Straight from the factory the V2 really lacked throttle response. It had great power and acceleration but anything less than half throttle was less than inspiring. The V3 is ready at any speed and throttle response is excellent. The other big difference is how the cars feel at turn in. It is really incredible what GM has done to make a 4 door sedan handle so godamn well! I finally understand what people mean by feeling connected to the road. You have so much control over even a small input change in steering.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It has been quite a while since I drove a a stock V2, it spent most of its life as a a pretty heavily modified variant. From what I do remember the two biggest differences between the V2 and V3 are throttle response and turn in handling. Straight from the factory the V2 really lacked throttle response. It had great power and acceleration but anything less than half throttle was less than inspiring. The V3 is ready at any speed and throttle response is excellent. The other big difference is how the cars feel at turn in. It is really incredible what GM has done to make a 4 door sedan handle so godamn well! I finally understand what people mean by feeling connected to the road. You have so much control over even a small input change in steering.
Cadillac told us at the track day that they targeted and benchmarked the Ferrari F136-F engine from the 458 Italia for throttle response of the LT4, and it definitaly shows

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2016 ATS-V
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's a variable assist/variable ratio steering system so the weight is dependant on the cars driving mode, it's never too light, something i attribute to the tires, so i would says starts medium and goes up to heavy from there, but this is in a parking lot or toodling about, because when on track or in canyon your focussed elsewhere, and to me this is the best compliment, i didn't notice in those situations, which to me tells me it's great, it didn't bother me by being to light or too heavy when driving hard, it was just nice how placeable the car was when trying to get your lines right
I thought that was the case, but couldn't remember exactly. For spirited driving I thought the steering was fine, but everyday use and longer trips it starts to wear on me, I think it adds to the whole "heavy" feeling of the car. I like the weighting on my Wife's ATS, it might be on the slight light side, but it does give the car a more lively feel. My wife actually prefers the steering in the Wagon over her car, so I guess it is all personal preference. But like you say, I don't want to notice or think about it on the track or around town for that matter.

Glad to hear that, I love my C6 Z06 because it has that feel, granted we are talking about cars that have a 900lb weight difference though.

Cadillac told us at the track day that they targeted and benchmarked the Ferrari F136-F engine from the 458 Italia for throttle response of the LT4, and it definitely shows
I'm hoping Cadillac does those again, i got invited last summer, but had left the day before for vacation, I was pissed. It is crazy to think that GM is bench marking their cars/engines, against some of the best.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I thought that was the case, but couldn't remember exactly. For spirited driving I thought the steering was fine, but everyday use and longer trips it starts to wear on me, I think it adds to the whole "heavy" feeling of the car. I like the weighting on my Wife's ATS, it might be on the slight light side, but it does give the car a more lively feel. My wife actually prefers the steering in the Wagon over her car, so I guess it is all personal preference. But like you say, I don't want to notice or think about it on the track or around town for that matter.

Glad to hear that, I love my C6 Z06 because it has that feel, granted we are talking about cars that have a 900lb weight difference though.

I'm hoping Cadillac does those again, i got invited last summer, but had left the day before for vacation, I was pissed. It is crazy to think that GM is bench marking their cars/engines, against some of the best.
GM is on a status quo shredding spree....last night i saw on autoline Caddilac contributed 1.5 billion in profits to GM bottom line...WOW!...and yes they are going after the best...a few years ago when Johan's boss, Mary Barra took over GM she gave the company a mission statement of "No more crappy cars"...it's starting to look like her underlings took her seriously

·
Registered
2008 STS-V; 2013 CTS-V
180 Posts
I find the ride quality on the MkII better than the MkIII. The ride on the MkIII is brittle and the MagnaRide does not seemed to be tuned properly for tour - it is a rough ride with squeaks and rattles. And the car is too light for its power. It weighs 100 kgs less than the MkII, is longer and has an extra 100 hp.

·
Registered
09 V 6M Thunder Gray
259 Posts

Hold the fuggin show. THEBIGJIMSHO??? Ok, I only come here every now and then but I spent a lot of time on the "other" site with my V1 and V2 and I thought Jim dropped off entirely once the V3 came out. Super awesome to see you back and now I have reason to return on a more regular basis. PS> V1 = Character. V2 = Massive Improvement - a little character V3 = dead sexy

·
Registered
304 Posts
I find the ride quality on the MkII better than the MkIII. The ride on the MkIII is brittle and the MagnaRide does not seemed to be tuned properly for tour - it is a rough ride with squeaks and rattles. And the car is too light for its power. It weighs 100 kgs less than the MkII, is longer and has an extra 100 hp.

Thats interesting, I owned 2 V2s and now a V3, I feel that the V3 rides better all around, no squeeks and rattles compared to the gen 2 that squeeked and rattled constantly.

V3 is a huge improvement in every way I feel

·
Registered
2008 STS-V; 2013 CTS-V
180 Posts
Hi JS1 - I am happy for you that that is indeed the case - I suppose I drew the short straw this time around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts